Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Closet flange question

I am in the middle of my bathroom renovation in getting ready to install the new subfloor, cork floor, and toilet. The flange appears to be set inside cast iron. It appears that it will sit too high once the flooring is in. How can I remedy this? Also, the ring that holds the hold-down bolts seems to be separated from the rest of the flange (I can slide it up and down). I've never seen this before.

Is it possible to remove the flange that is in there now and just get one of the drop-in replacements?
Attached Thumbnails
Closet flange question-imag0001.jpg   Closet flange question-imag0002.jpg   Closet flange question-imag0003.jpg   Closet flange question-imag0005.jpg  

djnik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,200

Closet flange question

Is that "dish looking thing" lead?

If so, patiently bend it upward all around enough to be able to remove the flange ring. Don't break it or tear it. Install your floor, then put the flange back in place on top of the subfloor and patiently bend the lead back down over the flange. Keep it smooth and neat so it will accept a new seal.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Closet flange question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Is that "dish looking thing" lead?

If so, patiently bend it upward all around enough to be able to remove the flange ring. Don't break it or tear it. Install your floor, then put the flange back in place on top of the subfloor and patiently bend the lead back down over the flange. Keep it smooth and neat so it will accept a new seal.
It does bend quite easily, so I'm assuming it is lead. Almost too easily though and it keeps trying to fold which I'm assuming will tear it. Can I rip that whole thing out and use something like http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-Plastic-...9629225&sr=8-3 in it's place?
djnik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Tileguy

Closet flange question

Nah! You're gonna need a plumber to take that thing apart. That is a leaded cast iron fitting. In the old days plumbers would melt lead and after packing the bottom of the joint pour the melted lead into the fitting to seal everything.

If you go easy you won't hurt the lead but you want to move a little at a time and not get in a hurry or get too aggressive with it.

After the flooring is cut to the lead pipe you can replace the flange and gently re-bend the lead back over the flange. This bend is what your wax ring will have to seal to so don't break the lead.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Tileguy

Closet flange question

You'll notice all those fittings are joined with lead. After the lead is placed into the fitting and it sets up a flat chisel-type tool is then used with a hammer to pack the soft lead tightly into the fittings. You wouldn't want to screw around and loosen those old packings by being too aggressive with that system.