Closet Flange Issues, Repaired With Grout - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Closet Flange Issues, repaired with grout

Ok, so redoing my bathroom, had it stripped to the sub, the old closet flange was destroyed, and the ring portion was practically in pieces.. So then i started to tile, did 1/2 hardi and tile. I have about a 3/4 void between the old pipe and the top of the floor which the new flange will sit on.

My plumber decided to use grout around the old pipe missing the flange, and said that would ultimately contain any leaks or smells when a new ring is installed on the tile, and wax ring is used.. im not happy about this and took pictures to better explain.

What i wanted to use (cut and replace old sewer line) I even purchased this with him, and he had full intentions of using it.

And i requested it be cut and roughed in prior to installed the cement board, and even after the tile was done.. i said hey this is prob a really easy time to do this.. but it wasnt done.. so yesterday i was grouting with him and had to leave to get paint.. came back to find this

He grouted deep into the 3/4 inch void around the old sewer pipe and his proposed solution was to install this

and put a bunch of silicone around the old pipe and up to the new flange..

he assures me that it would be fine.. im very sceptical

Advertisement

JonathanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 740

Wrong, but this should work.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...7C231F&first=1

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

that link wasnt to a direct image, instead a search string.

im thinking a slip in flange would be a bad idea, mostly because its already 3inch diameter pipe.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 334

looks like 3 inch, so unfortunately you are going to have to very carefully chip/break the rest of the destroyed flange off the outside of the pipe so you can glue a new flange in. you will need to remove all the grout to get access to the pipe so you can get a chisel or hand saw down in there. if you can do it, it will be a pain in the butt job and probably best for a skilled plumber.

it should have been repaired before the tile went down. the easiest way would have been to cut out some of the subfloor and cut the pipe down lower and then glue in a new piece for the flange to attach to.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
looks like 3 inch, so unfortunately you are going to have to very carefully chip/break the rest of the destroyed flange off the outside of the pipe so you can glue a new flange in. you will need to remove all the grout to get access to the pipe so you can get a chisel or hand saw down in there. if you can do it, it will be a pain in the butt job and probably best for a skilled plumber.

it should have been repaired before the tile went down. the easiest way would have been to cut out some of the subfloor and cut the pipe down lower and then glue in a new piece for the flange to attach to.

This is what i have been saying.. for 2 weeks now.. and like i said i left to get paint came back and saw he grouted over the old broken flange.. i was so angry.. still am.

good news is that the old broken flange aint secured to the floor nor does it even have a ring anymore and so broken once the grout there is cut away the old pipe will slide up with out touching tiles or cement board.. i have a crawlspace, so a sawsall will do the trick from underneith..

this seriously was a dead simple fix that was not done.. and which was supposed to be done.. but you look away for one minutue and now it becomes a project..
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 334

shoot, if you have a crawlspace with access from below it's a simple fix. if it was on the second floor, would have been a different story.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
shoot, if you have a crawlspace with access from below it's a simple fix. if it was on the second floor, would have been a different story.

Yeah its just gonna be messy now with removing the grout.

thanks for clearing all this up,. i spoke with the installer and set things strait.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Why is this plumber grouting? plumber or handy man looks like something a handy man would do. Or lazy or limited skill plumber

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

He's a plumber by trade.. But also does tile. With his help I was able to finish 450sqft pretty quick and it looks great. Honestly he should consider tile over plumbing lol
Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Get his license number and post his picture up here so we can do a drive by,some people should be beaten with their own tools!
Grout doesnt seal water thats why hes saying to use silicone,then the hack wants to hammer drill tapcons into the floor to hold the toilet down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Call your city plumbing inspector and have this hacks license pulled if he has one.
Six months from now when the screws pull out and your toilet starts rocking breaking your tile floor up that hack will be no where to be found!
The Following User Says Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
Alan (08-24-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #11

Thank you for the concern. It's being fixed properly :D great forum here for sure
The Following User Says Thank You to JonathanM For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Get his license number and post his picture up here so we can do a drive by,some people should be beaten with their own tools!
Grout doesnt seal water thats why hes saying to use silicone,then the hack wants to hammer drill tapcons into the floor to hold the toilet down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Call your city plumbing inspector and have this hacks license pulled if he has one.
Six months from now when the screws pull out and your toilet starts rocking breaking your tile floor up that hack will be no where to be found!
Must be a Roto Rooter Plumber. Tools include, Duct Tape. Hammer. and a plumbing for dummies hand Book, Roto Rooters requirements to be a plumber. must have a pulse.

Advertisement

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote