Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Clogged Pex Tubing?

Is this a possibility? Can pex tubing be flushed of sediment?

Joe Tilghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Clogged Pex Tubing?

Sure could use some more info.
How did it get sedement in it?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Clogged Pex Tubing?

Any waterline can get clogged.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Clogged Pex Tubing?

I have no idea how sediment got in, I was asking if it was possible for sediment to clog PEX. I know galvanized can get corroded and clogged.

With the surface of pex not being so rough can sediment settle in tubing over time and cause some restriction.

This house has sat idle for almost 4 years and a couple of weeks ago the cold water was showing some heavy staining but I think has cleared up I run cold water in a glass first thing in the morning and it looks clear.

Sediment has settled in the toilet tank this was installed new a couple of months ago.

I called utilities dept to see if they had been flushing mains in my area and they said no.

They did come out and check flow and PSI at the meter I have 70 PSI and 10.4 gallons of flow per minute and they checked at the hse bib and I have 65 PSI. Although when I first moved in I had 50 PSI at the bib and I guess if there was any build up it is clearing out.

My other question was is it possible to flush out water lines and how is it done or is it just constant use of the water. I flush HWH and there was sediment in the tank which I was expecting.
Joe Tilghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

Clogged Pex Tubing?

Remove all the aireators on the faucets and the shower head and clean them out. Leave them off and run the water for a few min. it should all just clear up after a while.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 548

Clogged Pex Tubing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tilghman View Post
I have no idea how sediment got in, I was asking if it was possible for sediment to clog PEX. I know galvanized can get corroded and clogged.

With the surface of pex not being so rough can sediment settle in tubing over time and cause some restriction.

This house has sat idle for almost 4 years and a couple of weeks ago the cold water was showing some heavy staining but I think has cleared up I run cold water in a glass first thing in the morning and it looks clear.

Sediment has settled in the toilet tank this was installed new a couple of months ago.

I called utilities dept to see if they had been flushing mains in my area and they said no.
I assume the house was re-plumbed using PEX prior to the house sitting idle for almost 4 years. Sediment in the toilet tank means it's from the cold water lines. Sediment from the cold water lines means it must have come:

.... 1. From the line from the city to the house. - Probably galvanized pipes. Did you ever determine what kind of line goes from the city to the house?

.... 2. From the city. The city saying no flushing occurred lately could be misleading. Since the house sat idle for 4 years, the sediment could have come from the city 4 years ago if they had a water line break or whatever 4 years ago.

Quote:
Sediment could have settled at the bottom of the PEX lines since the house sat idle for 4 years. I doubt that there's enough to cause flow restrictions though.

You should be able to visually check for sediment in the PEX lines. Get a flashlight and shine it on the opposite side of the PEX line. Since PEX tubing is translucent, if there's sediment settled in the bottom portion of the line, you should be able to see the difference between the clear upper part and sediment in the lower part.

Quote:
They did come out and check flow and PSI at the meter I have 70 PSI and 10.4 gallons of flow per minute and they checked at the hse bib and I have 65 PSI. Although when I first moved in I had 50 PSI at the bib and I guess if there was any build up it is clearing out.
"I guess if there was any build up it is clearing out" - Nope. The PSI measurements are "static" values. The pressure readings have no bearing on any build up clearing out. When the city said they have 10.4 gpm flow, where was that measurement taken? At the entrance to the property?

Quote:
My other question was is it possible to flush out water lines and how is it done or is it just constant use of the water. I flush HWH and there was sediment in the tank which I was expecting.
You need to take flow measurements at the beginning of the PEX lines. If the flow is low there, then no point in doing anything past that point until the problem is corrected.

$.02
HRG

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote