Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Clogged kitchen drain

Hello, Ive got a kitchen sink drain that is clogged. The clog is past the traps and into the line. I have snaked the line from under the sink and think I have pushed the clog further past the 25' snake I was using. My challenge is that the basement is finished. I know where the main waste line is that the sink should drain to, but I am unclear what route the sink drain takes to get there. Is there a clean out for the sink line before it connects to the main? If not then I could open the wall where the clean out is and snake up to get to the clog. I am at the point of calling in the $$PROS$$ but still would like to get this done myself if I could. Any suggestions would be great.

swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #2

Clogged kitchen drain

Well we cannot see your plumbing waste lines -- I think it will be up to you or a pro that you hire to figure out if there is another place you can access to snake from.

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #3

Clogged kitchen drain

Swoop,
One of the three basic theories of plumbing is that each successive drainpipe gets bigger.(The other two are: SH*& flows downhill, and payday is on friday.) In other words, once your sink drain goes into the wall, it goes to a bigger pipe. When that pipe hits the stack, it goes to a bigger pipe, etc. So if you really pushed your clog 25', it shouldn't be stuck in the pipe. How do you know the snake went down the pipe in the wall and not up? I would try snaking it again and flushing the line afterwards with hot water. If that doesn't do it, you may want to follow the pipe below the kitchen and if it's plastic, cut a section out and snake it in both directions. Repair the cutout section of the pipe and install a wye with a cleanout in the direction of flow and test it again to make sure you cleared the clog.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #4

Clogged kitchen drain

Well the drain is cleared now. What I had done to start was use a 25' power snake. got it in about 10 feet when the snake snapped into. (the bad thing was that it was borrowed). Went to the hardware store and bought a 25' snake and tried again. This snake seemed a little flimsy as when it went to another bend in the pipe or maybe against the clog it would buckle under the pressure. I could manipulate it any further in the pipe than 15 ' or so. I finally went and got a 1/2 " snake that is 50' long and cleared the clog. I ran water for 15 minutes with no back up, so I think I'm good there. Thanks for the help.
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote