Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Share |

Clogged drain now dripping

Hello!
I had my kitchen sink drain clogged with flour and yeast and I had to use some drain cleaner (Line Cleaner) and a plunger. I got the whole thing unclogged but I noticed there was a little bit of drippings under the sink, where the P-trap is. I am renting the apartment and the owner is a DIY but he's so-so... and I noticed that the joint just before the screwed-in joint didn't had a lot of glue on it initially, and I think using the plunger and the unclogging stuff broke the thin joint of glue.

Since the owner is away and I have no parts around to completely change the P-trap assembly up to the sink, I decided to remove the water from the P-trap so it would be dry enough to then apply a thick layer of PVC pipe cement to seal the joint. (I wasn't able to disassemble the part while the screwed ring was unscrewed, so the joint still holds enough I think...).
Oh, I DID use sand paper to clean and roughen the pipes first.

I can agree this way of fixing the issue is a bit on the "cheap side", but it wasn't dripping a lot... only the sitting water in the pipe would slowly drip out. When the water was flowing, there was no leaking. The only thing I am wondering... will a "relatively thick" layer of PVC cement actually completely dry? And will it take a long time? Cement is initially a bit runny, so of course, I couldn't apply a SUPER THICK layer as it would drip down. But the part where the joint is can hold a bit more glue since it's sitting there.

Did I make a good decision by fixing it this way? Will it hold? Will it dry completly?

Thanks for any help! I can put up a pic if necessary, if anyone is more visual or if I didn't explained well!

Last edited by alex_nrv; 01-27-2012 at 05:50 PM.
alex_nrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2

Does the p-trap or any other pipes connected to it have a crack, hole, etc. anything? If so then that stuff will need replaced. If there is none of that then it will just need new washers and refitted. Oh, and you do not use glue on the p-trap. The plastic ones should always have a slip nut and washer coming off the sink at the inlet and a slip nut and washer .. or union joint, were it goers to the drain. If yours does not then you need one that does. The p-trap is made to be disconnected via the union so you can clean out whatever gets trapped. If this were my plumbing I would just take the whole thing off and buy a p-trap kit. They are cheap enough that its really not worth messing around with fixing the old.

Last edited by jasin; 01-27-2012 at 08:33 PM.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

Yeast, flour, and draino should never have been used.
It would have taken all of 5 min. to just remove the trap and clean it out.
Yeast and flour will just make a gooy paste and plug it up more.
How about a picture?
A whole new trap would only cost about $7.00 or less At Lowes of HD.
And I agree unless someone messed up there should be no glue needed.
The whole thing should be just slip fittings.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

This is how it should go when its being refitted or a new one is being installed.

Last edited by jasin; 01-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #5

Next time take the p trap completely off or use a mix of baking soda and vinegar if you want a natural environmentally safe chemical method. Personally, when unclog a drain I do not have time to unclog by taking off the p-trap I use sulfirc acid (h2so4)

Last edited by jasin; 01-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

And next time you need to clean off the outside of a plastic pipe so it can be glued or refitted you should not use sandpaper or anything that can scuff it up. Use a microfiber dust cloth, towel, etc.. whatever, just not anything that is abrasive. You can also use, after that, some pvc/cpvc/abs primer ... pipe cleaner.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #7

Thanks for your input, all!
But with no offense meant, I got good advices but never had an answer to the real question: Does relatively thick layers of PVC cement dry?

Also, I remember how a P-trap is made in bathrooms, but in the kitchens I lived in, the P-traps didn't look like they were some kind of "kits"... just plastic turns and straights glued together. On the lower turn of the drain, there is NO cap I can unscrew to let the water out and/or clean the turn. Like I said in my original post, I unscrewed the plastic nut (which would be "D" in the picture), but the joint (not shown on the picture... but would be at the same height on the other end of the 180 turn) would NOT come off, even if I tried twisting and pulling. I am 95% SURE I saw a hint of yellow glue on the joint, that's WHY I decided to put a coat of glue in order to seal the drippings.

The part I reglued didn't had any cracks or hole... just a hint of a leak.

About the sanding, I don't know if there is a lot of different "basics", but I've always known to sand PVC and copper pipes before welding or glueing. Sanding the PVC pipe removes anything that could cause the glue to not stick and adds grit. I've seen people do it and I've always done it. I'm not arguing on this, but I never had problems in the past with this method.

Since it took over 2 hours to receive a reply and that dinner needed to be cooked and the sink to be used, I tested my cheap fix and it seemed to have done the trick. The outside coat of the glue is now really hard, but if I push with my nail on the part where the most glue is, it's still "rubberish" on the inside. I also had to put some teflon tape on the first top metal nut ("A" in the picture, but upside down) because there was a minor leak from there too...it's an old installation and all the movements I did with the assembly probably loosen some joints.

Anyways, if it starts leaking later on, I will have the OWNER to come and replace the whole damn thing! Like I said, I'm only renting and I wasn't gonna do the whole job myself... He's such a jackass and has his head up his butt so I'll let him do the dirty work and pay for the parts needed to be installed.

PS.: I'm still interested in knowing if thick amount of glue dries as much as lighter coats of glue over time!

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Post a picture of your actual plumbing
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Post a picture of your actual plumbing
Yeah, we need to see the finished work.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_nrv View Post
Thanks for your input, all!
But with no offense meant, I got good advices but never had an answer to the real question: Does relatively thick layers of PVC cement dry?

Also, I remember how a P-trap is made in bathrooms, but in the kitchens I lived in, the P-traps didn't look like they were some kind of "kits"... just plastic turns and straights glued together. On the lower turn of the drain, there is NO cap I can unscrew to let the water out and/or clean the turn. Like I said in my original post, I unscrewed the plastic nut (which would be "D" in the picture), but the joint (not shown on the picture... but would be at the same height on the other end of the 180 turn) would NOT come off, even if I tried twisting and pulling. I am 95% SURE I saw a hint of yellow glue on the joint, that's WHY I decided to put a coat of glue in order to seal the drippings.

The part I reglued didn't had any cracks or hole... just a hint of a leak.

About the sanding, I don't know if there is a lot of different "basics", but I've always known to sand PVC and copper pipes before welding or glueing. Sanding the PVC pipe removes anything that could cause the glue to not stick and adds grit. I've seen people do it and I've always done it. I'm not arguing on this, but I never had problems in the past with this method.

Since it took over 2 hours to receive a reply and that dinner needed to be cooked and the sink to be used, I tested my cheap fix and it seemed to have done the trick. The outside coat of the glue is now really hard, but if I push with my nail on the part where the most glue is, it's still "rubberish" on the inside. I also had to put some teflon tape on the first top metal nut ("A" in the picture, but upside down) because there was a minor leak from there too...it's an old installation and all the movements I did with the assembly probably loosen some joints.

Anyways, if it starts leaking later on, I will have the OWNER to come and replace the whole damn thing! Like I said, I'm only renting and I wasn't gonna do the whole job myself... He's such a jackass and has his head up his butt so I'll let him do the dirty work and pay for the parts needed to be installed.

PS.: I'm still interested in knowing if thick amount of glue dries as much as lighter coats of glue over time!

Thanks again!
The purpose of the p-trap is to trap stuff, hence the label "trap". How can you clean out the stuff that's trapped though if its all glued together???

A snake might work, but since its a bend, an elbow, most of the time a snake wont work.. the bend can be like an obstruction.

Sometimes stuff that is trapped can build up and end up having a consistency of cement. Most snakes won't get through that.

Depending on the kind of snake used too, sometimes they can cause micro-fractures in the pipe which affects the integrity of the pipe.

So the only approach to unclogging the pipe is the chemical method. The chemical method is not safe though. Most comercial drain openers are made from acids which can burn or irritate.

Only way to safely use drain openers like that is to have goggles, a respirator mask, and chemical proof gloves, but who has all that laying around?

In reality the best method is removal of the trap and manually digging all the gunk out. That's impossible though if the trap is glued.

Also, in many places making a p-trap by gluing together fittings you buy is a code violation. Such traps are technically not p-traps.

As for p-trap kits. They do not sale them with the name "kit" but they are, nevertheless, kits.

The glue gobbed on is a wrong way to glue any fitting. If the glue is not holding its because the glue was not applied properly and/or the pipe was not cleaned prior to gluing.

You are suppose to make one pass all the way around the OD of the pipe with the glue and then press the fitting on tightly and twist it back and forth 2 or 3 times.

And yes, p-traps can be slightly different in kitchens vs. bathrooms. Nevertheless, all p-traps should have washers, slip nut, trap itself, etc.

Last edited by jasin; 01-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasin For This Useful Post:
alex_nrv (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #11

Thanks for all your infos, Jasin! It shows you've been in plumbing for a long time

You will be able to figure out about the P-trap, if it is "legit" or not, but I'm sure the joint I coated with glue had yellow stuff (the glue) visible in the joint... and the way those pipes are installed, I don't see how this joint didn't needed glue... I'm pretty sure the owner did what he thought was "right", but I could never have the assembly removed from "THIS" joint. If I really want to remove the U-turn (p-trap), I need to unscrew the metal ring near the sink, where the metal piping goes into the plastic one, and also unscrew the palstic ring, the one after the U-turn, just after the joint I repaired... then I would have a big "J" made of PVC pipes in my hands.

This guy, the owner, really does everything himself because he's cheap and thinks he's way better than the average person... fact is... he's a moron... the best example I have: the dryer tubing inside the wall and in the ceiling (I live on the top floor) going outside was VINYL... ALL VINYL, except for the joint where I would attach MY outside vinyl tubing... and it was clogged when I got in the apartment... and because of this, one of the thermostat on my almost new dryer blew up... I had to buy a new one and replace it and he didn't even cared that I had to spend money because of a lack of maintenance on his part, it was not his problem that "MY" thermostat blew up... so I had to spend nearly 90$ for the part because of HIS INCOMPETENCE. After I told him, he came to my apartment and he made a whole in the wall (that he never properly finished repatching...) and changed the vinyl duct to a metal one... just like it is supposed to be. The guy who sold me the new thermostat is a local guy and he knows my owner... and when he learned who my owner was, he rolled his eyes to the sky and didn't wanted to speak anymore of it...

I used to do all the handy work the best I could in my previous apartment, and then I would keep the invoices for the parts and give them to the owner, the owner would deduct those invoices plus some compensation for my time from my next rent check. My current one doesn't want me to touch anything at all.

Sooo... I live in Quebec, Canada. I don't know what the standards and requirements are in buildings, but I'm sure the owner doesn't care much and has a lot of wrong things going on.

I will get a picture of the assembly as soon as I think about taking the picture and taking time to transfer it to the PC and upload it. I have a bunch of things going on, with a new baby born a month ago.
When the clogging happened, I lost all the afternoon fixing it... and this was precious time I needed for something else. This because my water was not staying in the sink while I tried to unclog it... the sink was draining slowly... IN MY DISHWASHER... I didn't knew the dishwasher was getting filled up and suddenly... I felt water at my feet... I had to use most of my towels to absorb the water as it was leaking out of the dishwasher (overflow)... then when my towels ran out, I used my small mop pad to absorb water and "twist" it back to a bucket... it's in THOSE times you wish you had a Shop-Vac! But I don't need it often and I have no room to store it (apartment...).

So, as soon I have a tiny window to take the picture and post it, I will, I promise!
The main problem is now fixed, that's what count! The glue seems rock hard now and the teflon joint didn't leaked. I installed a plastic pot below the "J" to detect any leakings but there were none at all. Happy happy.

Thanks and stay tuned for the picture(s)!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin View Post
The purpose of the p-trap is to trap stuff, hence the label "trap". How can you clean out the stuff that's trapped though if its all glued together???

A snake might work, but since its a bend, an elbow, most of the time a snake wont work.. the bend can be like an obstruction.

Sometimes stuff that is trapped can build up and end up having a consistency of cement. Most snakes won't get through that.

Depending on the kind of snake used too, sometimes they can cause micro-fractures in the pipe which affects the integrity of the pipe.

So the only approach to unclogging the pipe is the chemical method. The chemical method is not safe though. Most comercial drain openers are made from acids which can burn or irritate.

Only way to safely use drain openers like that is to have goggles, a respirator mask, and chemical proof gloves, but who has all that laying around?

In reality the best method is removal of the trap and manually digging all the gunk out. That's impossible though if the trap is glued.

Also, in many places making a p-trap by gluing together fittings you buy is a code violation. Such traps are technically not p-traps.

As for p-trap kits. They do not sale them with the name "kit" but they are, nevertheless, kits.

The glue gobbed on is a wrong way to glue any fitting. If the glue is not holding its because the glue was not applied properly and/or the pipe was not cleaned prior to gluing.

You are suppose to make one pass all the way around the OD of the pipe with the glue and then press the fitting on tightly and twist it back and forth 2 or 3 times.

And yes, p-traps can be slightly different in kitchens vs. bathrooms. Nevertheless, all p-traps should have washers, slip nut, trap itself, etc.
yes it will dry...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
yes it will dry...
If he does it right it will

Last edited by jasin; 01-29-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #14

Hasn't experience taught us that doing stuff cheaply, jimmy rigged, etc. just ends up costing us in the long run??

Last edited by jasin; 01-29-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #15

Here's the drain assembly. At the "T", there's my dishwasher drain... and after, you can see my glue patch to fix the dripping I had with this joint...
You can clearly see and understand that the owner installed an about 2 inches long pipe to join the "T" and the 180 turn... and even if I unscrew the plastic nut on the left, I wouldn't be able to just slide out the whole "J" piping to clean it out since it was glued on the right. There WAS glue at first, I could see it barely coming out of the joint, but almost none... and I think this weak glue joint failed after using the plunger and putting the "Clean Line" stuff red chemical stuff...)

In the back, you can see the drain joining a "Y" and going down... the other part joining the "Y" goes all the way to the top, just under the counter top and rejoins the drain a little lower with another "Y". What is this for? Pretty sure it has something to do with "air"...

Here's the beginning of the drain... I had to put some teflon on the thread for the metal nut not to drip (I think there was supposed to be a plastic gasket, it probably got broken and washed away...).

"CHEAP FIX/JIMMY RIGGED" in this situation isn't gonna bother me in the long run: I AM RENTING! If it fails while I'm still here... or even after, I will have the owner to look it up and re-do a drain job on this sink.

Last edited by alex_nrv; 01-31-2012 at 01:03 AM.