Clogged And Confused - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Clogged and Confused

Just snaked my kitchen sink drain after both sides filled up.

checked the drainage on both sides after removing the trap and both were clear. pulling the fittings up to the wall to get as straight a line as possible for my snake. I then ran the snake through with little problem, not much debris in pipe. figured I was done but nooo.

ran a little water through the open pipe with some water returning into the sink cabinet area. Snaked the pipe again and put water down pipe again even put fittings and trap together and tried again with no success. went to the roof and tried to snake through the vent but was hindered by some type of screen or blocking device (not far enough to be sewage blockage and the snake would not bite into the obstruction) making the location unusable for clearing line. what am I missing

? Why does the snake go all the way through a 2" pipe to the 6" pipe but does not clear the line.

Advertisement

Handy2Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Clogged and Confused

Kitchen drains are notorious for having long sections of line with a "build-up". My guess is that you have gone through the blockage and poked a small hole. When you run water the disturbed build-up ends up collecting and replugging the drain. Run the whole length of the snake down the drain again. If you can remove the hot supply easily and direct it into the drain do so. Then plug the drain opening around the snake and supply with a rag. Have a bucket ready to catch any water. Turn on the hot water. Be cautious. Let it run for a minute, then let pressure off of the rag. this saves putting the whole drain back on only to find it is still plugged. Once the drain is clear and its put back together fill both sinks and pull the plugs. Then run hot only for a few minutes to break down any residue.

Advertisement

sanec1 is offline   Reply With Quote