Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Clogged bathroom sink, help!!

I spent last weekend fixing some minor plumbing problems. With one bathroom sink I still have a problem with a clog. I tried snaking it (got some hair), then plunging it (picked up some more "trash"), then finally some Drano gel which did nothing except get pooled up in the drain pipe. I've removed the sink so I am pretty much dealing with the drain pipe. I am pretty sure the clog is close to the sink. Any ideas?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rotorooter; you can rent a power snake but by the time ya go get it, use it MAYBE fix it, return it etc Way better to just call em. Plus the fact that once they clear it, if it plugs up again they gotta come back to fix it usually for free :}

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Don't use a caustic drain cleaner like Drano. A snake will probably just punch right through the black jelly-like organic gunk that's probably clogging it.
Use a good enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare. It won't harm your sink, fixtures or pipes, but it WILL eat out (dissolve) the black organic gunk and hair usually found in a bathroom sink drain.
First, you run warm water and pour in the DrainCare and let it eat overnight, and then flush it down with very hot water the next day. I always start that flushing with a kettle of boiling water.
Works for me. Easier than all of the alternatives.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #4

Tripower, I had the same problem with the same advice. Go to Home Depot, get a little plastic tool called Zipit (looks like a zip-tie on steroids). It's only a couple of dollars and it worked like a miracle for me - pulled out all kinds of hair and gunk. I'd try that before calling roto-rooter. I've added it to my "must have in my toolbox" list.
Keyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #5

I second the Zipit. The are usually next to the check out. You should be able to get one for a few bucks.

Otherwise, pour baking soda in the drain, then follow with vinegar. If it is a minor clog this will help, otherwise it may not work, but at least you don't have to worry about damaging chemicals.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I will try the Zipit and DrainCare. I have a good plumber I can call if I need to but I like to do things myself if I can...which is why I like this site so much.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #7

Good luck Tripower! I love this site too.
Keyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 PM   #8

Your wet or dry vacuum may help on minor plugs.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Your wet or dry vacuum may help on minor plugs.
I may have to try that because nothing yet has worked including the stuff above.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #10

Is it all your drains or just the sink backing up? If you have tried everything above with no success, my mind thinks roots through your pipes. Any trees between your house and the main drain/septic? But, if it were that I would think all the drains would back up. Hmmmmm
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #11

OK, I have tried everything suggested above and I am going nowhere. I am at the point where I want to pull out the section of pipe closest to the sink (because I believe that is where the clog is) but that would necessitate busting out several pieces of wall tile which I am reluctant to do unless i am assured of success. What else can I try that I haven't tried already? And what is the best way to remove these ceramic wall tiles with out destroying the entire wall?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Long-Time DIYer

You do not need to break up any tile to clear a sink drain line. You can remove the trap and snake it from there, but make sure that the snake goes down the drain pipe instead of up the vent pipe.
I don't know why DrainCare didn't work for you. I have never seen it fail in all of these years that I've been using it. Sometimes you have to keep using it again until it finally clears things out.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
You do not need to break up any tile to clear a sink drain line. You can remove the trap and snake it from there, but make sure that the snake goes down the drain pipe instead of up the vent pipe.
I don't know why DrainCare didn't work for you. I have never seen it fail in all of these years that I've been using it. Sometimes you have to keep using it again until it finally clears things out.
Good Luck!
Mike
I have removed the entire sink so I have complete access to the drain pipe. It is completely and utterly clogged. I really need some help here. What do you suggest; another round of drain care? The thing is I can't just put in some warm water then some Drain Care, because the second I put anything in there it is clogged and the only way that it is coming out is if i let it spill all over my bathroom floor. We are way past the Zip-It, wet dry vac, plunger or anything like that (because I've tried them all). I either have to try the Drain Care (with no warm water) or the snake. Also is there some trick to getting the snake to go down the drain pipe instead of up the vent pipe?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
Eibwen

I aint no plumber [cept for when I gotta do it] so this is just my suggestion..

And I am sure it will cause some opinions...

Should be able to get a snake down the pipe since you have trap off.. Just got to work it slow and take your time. Maybe a little soap on the snake if you hit a tight spot.

If the snake aint gettin it, they make this stuff called "Liquid Lightning" I think Wal-Mart carries it. Straight sulphuric acid.. Eats thru anything organic [and quick] but it wont cure tree roots etc. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO A TEE.

You can temp out an elbow and a short peice of PVC straight up since the sink is out to pour it in with.

I used it once a few years back on two clogged sinks that shared a line after trying everything else. It cleared both sinks faster than I could walk from one to the other.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I aint no plumber [cept for when I gotta do it] so this is just my suggestion..

And I am sure it will cause some opinions...

Should be able to get a snake down the pipe since you have trap off.. Just got to work it slow and take your time. Maybe a little soap on the snake if you hit a tight spot.

If the snake aint gettin it, they make this stuff called "Liquid Lightning" I think Wal-Mart carries it. Straight sulphuric acid.. Eats thru anything organic [and quick] but it wont cure tree roots etc. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO A TEE.

You can temp out an elbow and a short peice of PVC straight up since the sink is out to pour it in with.

I used it once a few years back on two clogged sinks that shared a line after trying everything else. It cleared both sinks faster than I could walk from one to the other.
I think I will try the snake again tomorrow. Stuff like Liquid Lightning worries me. If it doesn't go right though then I've got sulphuric acid sitting in my pipes eating through them.