DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Clogged American Standard sink

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  handeman 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a DIY newbie, and am having trouble with a clogged American Standard sink. I've tried the vinegar/baking soda trick without much success.

The main issue is, I can't figure out how to remove the drain stopper/plug to get at the main piping (e.g. to get a wire down there to unhook/unclog any hair, etc).

I've attached a few pictures of the setup. I've tried twisting the top of the stopper, as our old sink one would just twist off. But this one is offering a lot of resistance and I don't want to break anything.

Any tips/advice?

Thanks in advance,

H

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's an odd one for me, never seen linkage like that. Most of the pop ups I see are connected by a rod that you just unscrew a nut to remove.

What you may have to do is remove the p trap and then come up the tailpiece from underneath. Put a bucket underneath it, dig out what you can and run the water to get some more out. Going beyond that would seem to involve unscrewing the plastic assembly as well, which shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have to.

#6 ·
I just did two of the exact same models a month ago. The trick to reinstalling is to lift the stoper about 3/8". When new it came with a foam ring to hold it up that was removed when done installing.
The whole faucet including the drain took about 5 min to install.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. The plastic piece did unscrew - it was a different sort of mechanical arrangement for opening and closing the stopper. The plastic piece contained some small plastic teeth that twisted and would open and close the stopper when pulled.
I did the baking soda trick and also got a clothes hanger down there to pull up a wad of hair.
Did the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.