Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Share |

clear the drain!

my bathroom drains clog up every 1-2 months,requiring a good dose of Drano. I don't think they should clog that often,but I guess I'll live with it. anyway,right now the plumbing is taken apart t'ill I get my new faucets installed and I thought I'd take the opportunity to maybe clean the rdain pipes a bit. I could put a hose in the drain pipe and blast water in there or maybe since I've got a compressor I could blast in some air. is that harmful to the drain pipes? should I just leave it alone?
BTW: there are 2 sinks in the bathroom,that drain into a common drain pipe. this may be where it's clogging. don't know but I DO know that when the bathroom was "done over" 20 years ago, pro's did the work so I assume it was done correctly.

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

clear the drain!

Drains clog unless you only run water down them. Soap, hair, whatever eventually builds up and causes a clog. There are several EZ things you can do to prevent this from happening.

- Use a hair trap - it also will collect soap scum. Yeah they aren't pretty, but since I've been using one on my tub I haven't had a clog. And you can always hide it when company comes over.

- on a periodic basis run a good amount of HOT water through the pipes. I do this about once a month with a large pot full of scalding hot water (more often for my kitchen sink).

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

clear the drain!

mmm! draino.I make part of my living from people who think draino will fix a underlying problem, cable the line and clean it correctly once and for all.
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plumberinlaw For This Useful Post:
LateralConcepts (02-21-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

clear the drain!

it's clogging right at the wall. I'll take Leah's advice and pour scalding hot water in the drain periodically.
BTW: I also ran a "snake" in the drain for good measure

tnx,
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

clear the drain!

Did you pull anything back?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

clear the drain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberinlaw View Post
Did you pull anything back?
only a bra and panties! actually if you mean did anything come back out of the drainline? no. the clog was apparent when I pulled out the pipe that goes into the wall.

tnx,
The Following User Says Thank You to analogmusicman For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #7

clear the drain!

Liquid Plumber and Drano are horrible for your pipes but great for my wallet! every time they are used a little bit of the pipe is eaten away and eventually you will have a leak

What I like for sinks and the tub would be something like Biochoice or other natural enzyme that eats the soap scum... With out the scum hair will naturally pass by unless it gets caught on something (ex-Pop up assembly)

What I hate besides the two mentioned above- Anti-bacterial soap! It kills all the bacteria that would have feasted on the drain soap! All bacteria is not bad!

As far as Hot Water in the kitchen sink... Works great unless you have grease in the line... If you do be careful because this could actually cause grease to become a liquid and then solidify causing a blockage... hmmm wonder what would happen if you put dish detergent in with the hot water
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Docwhitley For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (02-23-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

clear the drain!

hey Doc, you saying the folks at "Draino" are lying when they claim that "Draino is safe for your pipes"?

tnx,
Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #9

clear the drain!

I snake lines, but if it's a good chunk of hair you could use Zonk it's sold at home depot, it works great at burning the hair out. Just remember to use it in a ventilated room or better yet pour it down an leave for 15 minutes after which you can let the hot tap run an purge the line. It's not a product is be used all the time only when it's really thick.
Adam_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

clear the drain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
hey Doc, you saying the folks at "Draino" are lying when they claim that "Draino is safe for your pipes"?

tnx,
I would say that as well. Have you ever gotten that junk on your hands? It frickin burns. Hope none of your plumbing is plastic.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #11

clear the drain!

Couple things I know about Draino
1- It burns
2- I have had a cable that was not rinsed after being used in Drano start to deteriorate.
3- It warns you not to have children, hands or face around this chemical when being used

I will not get into a battle over what they claim but I know when my guys do drain cleans they wear heavy gloves and a shield because of those chemicals

I do not like putting a chemical in a tub that I will bathe a child in.... Just my preference

If I am going to use something to help with clogs I use
vegetative liquid bacteria solutions

Preferred method for me is jetting
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

clear the drain!

drains with draino cost more to cable, hard on equipment, dangerous for operator