Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cleanout Plug

Just had to auger out the sewer line, but had to go through the cleanout in the floor drain rather than the big one because I couldn't get the big plug to budge. I would like to remove the main plug so I can fit a larger "blade" on the auger to clean out the pipe better. The plug is brass, says 3 1/2" on it but diameter is really 4 5/8", it has 4 raised square heads on it. So first of all, I can't get it off, don't know if a special key would help? I only have a pipe wrench big enough to grab one of the 4 square heads. Second of all, is this plug replaceable? I can't find anything that size in case I ended up chiseling the old one out. I spose a picture would help.

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Cleanout Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhag View Post
Just had to auger out the sewer line, but had to go through the cleanout in the floor drain rather than the big one because I couldn't get the big plug to budge. I would like to remove the main plug so I can fit a larger "blade" on the auger to clean out the pipe better. The plug is brass, says 3 1/2" on it but diameter is really 4 5/8", it has 4 raised square heads on it. So first of all, I can't get it off, don't know if a special key would help? I only have a pipe wrench big enough to grab one of the 4 square heads. Second of all, is this plug replaceable? I can't find anything that size in case I ended up chiseling the old one out. I spose a picture would help.
No need for a picture. Brass plugs often get seized in place and can be difficult to remove. It's not problem to just beat it out with a hammer and chisel. Take care not to let any of the brass drop into the line. Once you break through it with a chisel, you can grab it with a pair of channel locks and pry it out. When you're finished, you can replace it with a 3 1/2" ABS plug.

Also, don't use the same cable you used to go through the floor drain. It's not big enough and may get stuck in the line. You need a big machine 11/16 cable and 3-4" blade. If you've never used a machine like that before, I'd suggest having a professional do it. They're extremely dangerous.

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote