Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

cleaned sink trap, now i smell the sewer

I cleaned out the trap to my double kitchen sink. the sink still drains very slow, and now my apartment smells like the sewer. when the sink backs up it seems as if no water has gotten past the u-joint before it backs up. luckily i do not owen a plunger with two heads some foot apart, and i live alone. could there be a clog in the line from the side not connected to the ujoint directly be a cause for slow draining?
im stumped please help

chrigarball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

cleaned sink trap, now i smell the sewer

Chrigarball:

If you live in an apartment, it would be best to tell your manager or landlord about the problem so that he can hire a plumber to clear the drain pipe from your sink. Normally in an apartment block, the kitchen sinks will drain into a common vertical drain pipe, and then bend under the basement suite and run at a shallow angle through the crawl space under the building to the main drain stack for your apartment and all the apartments above yours. The drain clogs in this shallow sloping section in the crawl space for many feet, and it needs to be cleared with a snake.

This is why when someone in an apartment above yours drains their sink, it will back up into your sink. This is proof that the sink drain line is partially clogged and needs to be cleared.

Your p-trap is not the cause of the problem.

That "pipe to the side" is most likely simply a clean out. The plumber who snakes out the drain pipe will run his snake into that pipe. That way, he can simultaneously run water down the regular drain pipe to wash away the solids the snake scrapes off the ID of the drain pipe.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-16-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote