DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Clean out vs floor drain

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Alan 
#1 ·
Hi. Let me preface this by saying I know NOTHING about plumbing so this is probably a stupid question.

In my basement, there was no floor drain near the furnace for the A/C condensate. There is a floor clean out about 3 feet from the furnace.

My contractor chipped out the slap and ran a new drain which comes out of the floor beside the furnace. Why couldn't I just uncap the clean out and drain the AC into that?

Is it because the clean out does not have a trap?

Again, sorry for the stupidity. I'm just curious.

#2 ·
Hi. Let me preface this by saying I know NOTHING about plumbing so this is probably a stupid question.

In my basement, there was no floor drain near the furnace for the A/C condensate. There is a floor clean out about 3 feet from the furnace.

My contractor chipped out the slap and ran a new drain which comes out of the floor beside the furnace. Why couldn't I just uncap the clean out and drain the AC into that?

Is it because the clean out does not have a trap?

Again, sorry for the stupidity. I'm just curious.

Bit of a novice myself - so Ill test what I think i have learned/do know....

You cant leave that clean out open - it needs to be closed or sewage gasses would creap into your home.

#3 ·
To answer your question, Yes.

He could have, however tapped into the cleanout fitting, and run an exposed drain above the floor with a p-trap on it, and a trap primer.

Not really sure what would have been more expensive, but if you prefer the piping being below the slab, then that's just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.