Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #1

Share |

clay in my new well

these are the facts. i have colodial clay in my water. 100% garantee.

i had a company come over and the system and the alum injection system to treat thsi would cost 10 000$.

so what i've done is started rainharvesting. So i collect my rainwater and use for the whole except for th shower and 2 bathrooms since it consumes so much water. hot water is also coming from my rainwater reservoirs. it something i'm quite proud of and is very eco friendly and works perfectly.
so this is a fix for 9 out of 12 months per year than winter comes along.

i would like to point out that since i'm only drawing 50 gallons of water from my well per day, it has almost completely cleared up. i still get a little deposit that i brush off in the toilets upstairs but no more grey deposits in the shower like i used too.

i am expecting that once i turn off my rainharvesting system for the winter and start drawing 200 gallons from my well daily, i'll have the same issue as before.

so let's talk about the well. when i tried to install the pump 4 months after the drilling (i had not moved into my home and winter came so no need for the well yet),.The pump would not go down more than 70 feet. the well had caved in.
i called back the driller, he hammered it and told me to put a casing in it to avoid the collapse again. so installed 4 inch pvc pipes with wholes 100 feet in total and dropped in the well. i guess that's what's called a liner. i did have a hard time dropping them because it had tumbled a bit but 100 feet of piping has a bit of momentum...
so i slid down the pump and started using the water. burnt one pump...too much clay jammed it.

so now i don't know what to do. i have another driller that is dying to drill for me another well and tells me he has done quite a few in my area and they have all good water. i have a 6 inch well right now but he told me an 8 inch well would do the thing. i suggested to him that he could drop a few metal casings into the well...i have to already for 40....let's say 100 feet total(this would seal the bad veins) and he could drill mine until he finds good water. he's very reluctant in doing so since it's not his well and that it's not an 8 inch. Do any of you think that the well that was drilled for me can be salvaged? now remember we have apparently salt water 50 feet below. he drilled a well 300 feet from mine and told me he got great water. i told him i wanted to see my new neighour's water after a few months of use before he can claim good water. collodial clay is a problem in my area. Rainwater harvesting is actually fun but it would be amazing to have good well water. i do not have any other location where the well could be drilled...15 feet at the most from my current well so i'd probably hit the same veins. Thoughts? the well was probably not well developped. can it be fixed? would an 8 inch diamater help at all? what can a driller do besides just drilling some more. i guess it's not rocket science. a hammer bangs rock and digs slowly a hole. how can a well not be properly developped. would dropping more metal casing work and seal off bad veins or would this be just a waste of money?

clayinwell is offline   Reply With Quote