Clawfoot Tub Woes Continue - Found Possible Solution - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

clawfoot tub woes continue - found possible solution

So, I had an earlier thread about dealing with compression fittings. I'm pretty sure I destroyed one of them and can't reuse the supply line.

My old tub faucet had these "bathcock couplings" (AKA "leg tub ells," or "bathcock ells"), that i decided i wanted to reuse on my new faucet. They don't fit! I have a strom plumbing faucet with 3/4" male threads sticking out the back.

Here's what I'd like to do:

Screw on a 3/4" copper to 1/2" copper adapter, bang on a street 90, then copper directly down from there, just hardline the entire thing with copper right to the faucet. I assume the only downside to this is that to later remove the faucet (should last a lifetime) someone would have to unsweat that one joint to get it apart.

This would get rid of my leaky compression fitting, ugly chrome double offset supply lines, and make the whole assembly look much cleaner in general. The rest of the bathroom is already a maze of exposed copper, which I polished and actually looks great. Might as well do the tub in copper right up to the faucet.

Any compelling reason not to do this?

Strom plumbing/Sign of the Crab makes the ells that fit the faucet, but at $50 and a week+ wait, plus the lost time in getting a tenant in this place, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Thanks.

Advertisement

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
The rest of the bathroom is already a maze of exposed copper, which I polished and actually looks great. Might as well do the tub in copper right up to the faucet.
Ayuh,...

I did that at a waterfront rental,...Year rounder...
I sprayed them with Clear,+ it's holding up goin' on 3 years now...
If ya Don't, it'll tarnash,+ turn green/ brown in no time...

Btw,...
Adding those Unions you see there makes Repairs much Easier.....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

cool man, nice work.

is there any risk of damaging my supercoated brass faucet when sweating on the 90 to the female threaded adapter?

i wouldn't be able to sweat any additional pipe before because the rotation would hit the rim of the tub.

thanks.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Sound like it will work fine, and nice work Bondo. There shouldn't be a problem with the soldering on the faucet, but just to be safe, I would rap a cool wet rag around the trim while soldering.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote