Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

clawfoot tub faucet install

I bought this faucet for my tub but can not find any fittings to hook my supply lines up with. On the back of the faucet the supply has a nut with a hole in it, like a compression fitting, but it's not. It's a nut with a hole in it and then a rubber washer inside, like a hose. I have 1/2" pex coming out of my wall that i'm trying to connect to the faucet but the tub has 3/4" pipe. However, a 3/4" pex fitting will go on 1 or maybe 2 threads then stop. There was nothing at the plumbing supply house I could find to fit it. The customer service where i bought the faucet said no other customers have had trouble installing this faucet. Am I missing something? Or do i just need to spend $100 more and buy their supply lines to install to it?

The supply house i went to was able to get a toilet supply line to come out of the nut, then go compression on that and back to pex, but that seems like a pain. I'm hoping I can find a simpler solution.

1/2" pex is too big to fit through the nut on the faucet and 3/8" is too small.

autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

http://www.clawfootclassics.com/product.asp?lid=889

You need something like that ^^^.

The threads on the faucet should be straight thread. Standard iron pipe thread is tapered, so that's why you're getting the problem that you describe.

Your waterlines should be coming out of the floor, not the wall.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the explanation Alan! I'm trying to avoid having to buy another $100 part. I ran them out of the wall because the tub is pretty much butting up to a shower wall so you can hardly see the supply lines. I feel it's a waste of money to put decorative pipes in a place you wont see. Even after I buy that, i'm going to have to get more fittings to get that back to pex under the house right? Is there really no other fitting that I can make this work with?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Doing it myself

If the supply lines aren't really visible, you could use a faucet supply, but the inside diameter is considerably smaller, which will cause the fill time on your tub to be longer.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Also, if you do decide to go that route, you really should install shutoffs before the supply lines.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #6

Hey thanks Alan! Yeah, at the plumbing supply house they worked up toilet supply line that way, and I was concerned about the slower fill times. I'm just thinking, there are nuts that come with the faucet and all the "fancy" supply lines can connect to it, so i can't understand why if they can make fittings for the decorative supply lines, why someone can't make a fitting that will screw on and then convert to pex. Oh well.

I do have shut off installed. I have a pex manifold, with individual shutoffs, about 10 feet away that is easily accessible.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

In regards to the faucet connections, you could also check with a product called shark bite! They should make a fitting to go onto pex pipe that will adapt to 1/2 inch pipe thread. You should be able to purchase supply lines that will connect to the shark bite and your faucet.
Hope this helps
Dennis
31 yrs Journeyman
hairymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #8

Hey Dennis,

I appreciate the response. I'm familiar with shark bite products but i'm not sure they will screw on to my faucet. Like Alan mentioned, unfortunately the thread on the faucet is unconventional to the pex fitting threads. Or, do you know of a shark bite fitting that has the kind of female thread i need?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #9

Well some faucet manufacturers purposely make their connections proprietary like that! You might be able to find a brass adapter fitting that would convert to 1/2 iron pipe thread, so that you could use standard supply lines. Otherwise you might have to suck it up and buy the manufacturers supplies. Good luck!
Dennis

hairymf is offline   Reply With Quote