Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
cj

Share |

Is this CI pipe cracked?

I am in the process of retiling the half bath.
Noticed that the cast iron drain pipe has what looks like a crack. The pipe leads into the slab below.
Does this section need to be replaced. No signs of any leaks as yet but I'd rather change it now if the pipe is slowly breaking down.
I've read in these forums that CI pipes last a hundred years if not longer.
Appreciate any advice.

thanks
CJF
Attached Thumbnails
Is this CI pipe cracked?-ci-pipe.jpg   Is this CI pipe cracked?-ci-pipe1.jpg   Is this CI pipe cracked?-ci-pipe2.jpg  

cjf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Is this CI pipe cracked?

Is that a drain line or a vent line? From the pictures (Thank You) it is hard to tell if it is indeed a crack or a fault in the casting. I've seen casting faults that do not go all the way through. IF it is a crack on a drain line it could be repaired by removing only the damaged portion of CI, above the bottom bell and above the top bell, replacing it with PVC and two Fernco couplings. IF it is a vent line, and is definitely a crack, I would probably clean the crack out really well and use some type of plumbing epoxy to seal it. I don't think that small crack is causing any structural integrity of this pipe, as a vent line, IMO. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Is this CI pipe cracked?

is it leaking? if not and you do not plan on covering it up then leave it alone.
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
cj

Is this CI pipe cracked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Is that a drain line or a vent line? From the pictures (Thank You) it is hard to tell if it is indeed a crack or a fault in the casting. I've seen casting faults that do not go all the way through. IF it is a crack on a drain line it could be repaired by removing only the damaged portion of CI, above the bottom bell and above the top bell, replacing it with PVC and two Fernco couplings. IF it is a vent line, and is definitely a crack, I would probably clean the crack out really well and use some type of plumbing epoxy to seal it. I don't think that small crack is causing any structural integrity of this pipe, as a vent line, IMO. David
Thanks David for your reply. It is a drain line. Infact a couple of feet (4-5 ft) below this crack (or bad casting) is where the slab is. The kitchen, bathrooms and everything from above (2 stories), drains into this line. I am a little worried about replacing this section alone with PVC because of the weight of the entire CI drain and CI vent above that leaves thro' the roof.
Seen a couple of posts here that calculate the weight to be about a 1000 pounds. Should I just get rid of all the cast iron piping?
As much as I do not want to, is there a way to silence the sound from water draining into PVC?

Appreciate the help. thanks.
CJF

Last edited by cjf1980; 01-27-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
cj

Is this CI pipe cracked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolph58 View Post
is it leaking? if not and you do not plan on covering it up then leave it alone.
Thanks rudolph. No it is not leaking right now and it was covered earlier on with drywall and tile.
Any suggestions on how I can cover it with something modular that can be easily disassembled as well as blend into the adjoining tile and drywall (which I will be putting).

CJF