Chimney Soot And Bat Guano,,adversely Effect Floor Drains?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

Chimney soot and bat guano,,adversely effect floor drains??

I "want" to wah out my unused brick chimney,cause I think I am allergic to its contents. What is the 'best' way of doing this,,,and what would be consequenses to OLD underfloor basement floor drain?? I JUST got it unpluged from a multitude of crap built up and dont wish to screw it up again.

I recently vacuumed out my chimney,,was about 5 ' of soot and bat guano inside laying on the bottom AND put a concrete cap on top to keep out rain and birds,bats and squirrels. this chimney hadnt been cleaned completely since it was built about 70 years ago!!(btw,next time the roof is reshingled the chimney will be ALOT shorter)

Any way to trap crap BEFORE it gets to the floor drain,like a dam that I can then vacum up the junk before the drain,,or will it be 'harmless' to the horizonal pipe?? the water would have to filter thru it,whatever might work. ANY ideas?? Thanks -d-

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You certainly don't want those solids in your floor drain. I wouldn't suggest washing the chimney out. The creosote buildup that can cause flue fires isn't going to wash away easily anyhow. You need to hire a chimney sweep...It really isn't expensive.

If bats are getting into the chimney you need to first install an appropriate screened cap to keep the little buggers out.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

If your chimney truly is un-used and isn't being disturbed it's doubtful you are allergic to anything inside it unless you have very severe allergies. You're sure your boiler or water heater doesn't go into the chimney? If it does and you capped it you're probably allergic to the combustion gases building up in your house. If you want it cleared have it done professionally.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
...you're probably allergic to the combustion gases building up in your house.
He's kidding! That's definately one "allergy" you never want to test out!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

thanks for the responses,sorry no gasses here to be alleergic too except my 'personal' gaseous being.
dont have gas meter here yet,,will when weather turns colder(just moved in) water heater is electric. furnace is high efficency and is piped outside by pvc thru sill wall,,,therefore,,chimney isnt used. WAS thinking of keeping it in 'CASE' I get the hair to put a corn furnace in.

Anyway for NOW,,,its sporting a 80# chunk of crete on top to keep the critters and rain out!! The soot I am talking of washing out is the loose and fine kind,,definite ODOR from this area!! Maybe the bat remnants. Was working elsewhere and noticed when I get close to bats my 'allergies ' kick up (I am MOSTLY allergic to work!!)

Question-never saw a chimney sweep work before,,how do 'they' collect the dust involved in their trade?? Wouldnt a furnace duct cleaning place do better?? AND wouldnt they need to remove my cement block on top to clean anything??
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #6

Yeah, your cement block would have to come off. You really should install an appropriate chimney vent cap. That would keep the vermin out and solve your problem for good.

You need a chimney sweep, not a duct cleaner. The chimney guys use special brushes on long rods to scrape the chimney flue clean, and they can look it over for problems as well. The guys I used had a tent that encapsulated the fireplace, and they used huge vacs to control the dust.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with theKCtermite. They have great chimney caps now that look great and they are very sturdy. I had to put one on to stop deterioration of my chimney bricks. Then I had to cut a couple of holes in it for the chimney swifts to come and go. My chimney sweep (whom I have had for 20 yrs) hated the idea of cutting holes in the mesh. When he sweeps, there is not a speck of dust or soot in my house.

Where are you? Send bats my way. I have a bat house and for 2 years been waiting for residents. Live in Texas and they are supposed to eat incredible amount of mosquitos. Hate Mosquitos!

Be very careful, any type of "guano" contains spoors, bacteria and other really nasty and harmful substances. Please let a pro do it.
Sasha2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

First off, since you have capped the chimney, you may have created a situation where the air inside is now stagnant. A proper cap on top would allow a natural draft to lift out any airborne material, dust, gases from bat guanno, etc. If I were going to clean it, I would set up a shop vac with a HEPA filter at the bottom and seal the hose to the chimney. Then I would use either a chimney brush or a rope with a burlap sack partly filled with small rocks to run up and down the inside of the flue to knock off any loose materials. I'd be concerned that hosing it down will create a lot of nasty stuff running out that will be hard to contain and will likely stain anything it comes in contact with.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote