Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Share |

changing jet pump switch settings

This is a spin-off of a different thread I started, and figured I'd start over now that the problem has a little repeatability; not 100%, but it is pretty stable. I have a 1/2 hp Myers jet pump to pump water to my house from a 1500 gal tank. At present, the pressure switch settings are 38 and 48 psi, with about 32 psi in the tank. Getting here was torture, and there is still a little wonkyness now and then. My question is this: What is the quickest way to tweak the settings to get back to the normal settings of 30/50 and 28 psi in the tank? It seems that every time I make a small change, it has large, unwanted results. I have bled the tank and recharged it 25 times and it seems that when I run the pressure in it up closer to the (apparent) cut-in pressure, all hell breaks loose. Any suggestions? thanks. BTW: Despite the cut-out pressure being 48, and the gauge merrily showing that for 15 minutes, when I have jacked the tank pressure up a tad from 32, the pressure tank runs bone dry. Somehow I need to bring two readings down w/out the system going wonky again.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
Water Treatment

Drop the 20.00 bucks for a 30/50 switch and put the new one in.
Might also be about time for a new switch any way.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #3

chitina! there you go, thinking again. wth here? as usual, my brain was in a dark, unmentionable place and i was focused on a fix. most embarrassing is, we HAVE ANOTHER ONE, brand-ass new, sitting in the next room. THANKS for the wake-up call!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Water Treatment

The challenge that I have found with switches that have been changed is that getting them back to say factory is more of a pain and a time eater that dropping a new one with the cut in and out where one is looking to be cheaper in the long run.

Below 0 tonight?

looks like freeze temp tonight on the peninsula.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

You need to understand how the switch works.
One screws adjusts the pressure. The other screw adjusts the difference. Right now with 38-48 settings one screw be able to adjust difference and bring it up to 38-58. The other screw will adjust the 38 down and also bring down the 48 at the same time. The switch should have a diagram inside the cover telling which screw does what.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

It was mentioned the pipe was new but was the orifice in the bottom of the switch inspected / cleaned.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #7

yes, i understand how the two nuts on the switch work, or are supposed to. thanks. the problem is the irregularity. the pipe to the switch will be inspected when i put a new switch on. thanks for reminding me of that, too. i'll see how the new switch works. i've gotta get this damn thing done.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #8

I notice you are in Alaska. Is it possible there is ice in the line? Could it be messing with the pressure switch or clogging the tube leading to it.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I notice you are in Alaska. Is it possible there is ice in the line? Could it be messing with the pressure switch or clogging the tube leading to it.
what? you think it's cold up here or something? good thought, but no ice this time. that is a real possibility, though. we've taken pains to install enough heat tape, and as long as the juice flows, etc..... here's hopin'.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #10

fyi, i replaced the switch with a new "40-60". ha ha. i set the pressure in the drained tank to 38 and turned on the pump. i have a 50-70 switch! i ran it down a bit, but will have to slowly work it down as we use water. i am tired of pumping water down the drain. i guess a full revolution of the #1 nut will reduce the pressure by 2.5 psi. ??? that is what i read; i'll try it, slowly. nfi how i got a 50-70 switch; apparently it was not placed back into the right box at the plumbing store somehow. no biggie; everything seems to be holding together.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

With all this said above, keep in mind that without seeing a pump curve for your particular pump, it may not be able to reach the pressure you're wanting it to without burning it up.

I recently put in a brand new Goulds J10S at my rental, and the darn thing isn't capable of reaching 60PSI. Kind of disappointed for 400 bucks.

Also : The precharge in your pressure tank should be ~ 2psi below the cut on pressure. Maybe this was your problem to begin with?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #12

al: thanks. i set my pressure tank to 38, installed the new switch, and it read 50/70. i have been turning the large, #1 nut ccw, slowly as water is used, and the switch is now doing 50/60. i don't seem able to get it down any more, or it goes wonky. i tried bringing #2 down a turn or two, and it was a disaster; that really confused the switch. i am going to call the store today and see if they have suggestions. maybe the external line on the pump is plugged. it does not have a nipple running up to the switch, but rather a 1/8" external, plastic hose. very frustrating.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #13

Sounds like the #1 nut is difference adjustment. Put #1 back and adjust #2 to bring both settings down. To lower the pressure you should be loosening the spring tension.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #14

joe: i tried lowering #2 a turn, and the switch chattered; it was confused. yes, i am sure the diagram said that #1 controlled cut-in and cut-out, ie, the differential. #2, the shorter one, only controls the cut-out, apparently. i will try running #1 tighter, and bringing shorty down (looser).
Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Again : 2 PSI below cut on. if you install a switch with a higher cut on pressure you need to adjust the tank accordingly.