Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Share |

Changing a Bathtub

I am planning on re-doing one of my bathrooms. Currently the bathub had been in place for 30 years. I am planning to replace it with a basic 5 foot/34inch alcove style tub.

I have been reading some literature on installing a tub, it seems like some of them need to be installed in a mortar bed while others seem to just sit on the floor (fastened at the sides). I believe the tub that is installed atthe moment has a cement bed under it but I won't be sure until I have ripped it out.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Any good online resources to read about this?

D.

dmanmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Changing a Bathtub

Sometimes it all deps on the contractor.

With the tubs with styrofoam as the base I set directly on the sub-floor all others I take a 4 lb box of drywall compound and spread it out and set the tub on it.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Changing a Bathtub

I agree with Plumber101, but may I add: Almost all of the older cast iron tubs I have removed do not have any type of bed under them, that's understandable with the cast iron units. I have removed fiberglass/acrylic type tubs which have developed cracks in the bottoms just from normal use as they had no support under the bottom. The weight of a normal person standing/moving around while taking a shower will eventually crack some of these units. As Plumber101 stated, those with the styrofoam base under them need nothing else, those without any base need some support. I have used drywall compound two ways, the dry type placed within a loose plastic (heavy duty garbage) bag, and straight out of the bucket placed in a HDG bag. I have also used thinset mortar within a bag. Just me, I like the bag to keep it contained and it will settle with the tub. I have seen some brands come with boards glued to the bottom to rest on. You are on the right track with wanting to check this out--before placing the unit. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #4

Changing a Bathtub

What kind of tub are you installing? all of them should come with install instructions with what the manufacture advises.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote