Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Electrician

Share |

Changing around vent pipe

I have a large copper vent pipe running thru my attic. It comes up from my full bath and runs horizontally 2" above the floor for about 15 feet to above my kitchen. There is a T there where the kitchen sink vent intersects and it goes up thru the roof.

This pipe is in the way of open space in the attic, I would like to re-route it a bit, to do this I would have to add a couple of bends. It would remain at the same height the whole way.

Can I just it and then insert PVC pipe of the same size with a pair of Fernco's at each end?

Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #2

Yes you can. Support plastic pipe @ 4' intervals. Maintain any existing grade and nominal pipe size and you should be fine

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Electrician

Great, simple enough.

Since it's my thread, I get to hijack it

Today I did an electrical rough in on an attic apartment. In the bathroom I noticed the vent for the sink went up about 2', then across 2', then back down 2', then across to where it intersected other vent pipes, but it made a bunch more turns both horizontally and vertically.

This was all new work from a well known plumber so I assume it is correct. But it was just odd to see it going up and down and around, I thought a vent had to be relatively upwards the whole time and could only go so far horizontally?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

fernco ftgs.should only be used outside the footing for under ground use.you can get a no hub style transition ftg.that will adapt copper to pvc.
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolph58 View Post
fernco ftgs.should only be used outside the footing for under ground use.you can get a no hub style transition ftg.that will adapt copper to pvc.
I was under the impression that ferncos and no hubs were the same thing?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #6

a no-hub coupling has a stainless steel wrap that goes around the rubber sleeve with 2 hose clamps.
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Great, simple enough.

Since it's my thread, I get to hijack it

Today I did an electrical rough in on an attic apartment. In the bathroom I noticed the vent for the sink went up about 2', then across 2', then back down 2', then across to where it intersected other vent pipes, but it made a bunch more turns both horizontally and vertically.

This was all new work from a well known plumber so I assume it is correct. But it was just odd to see it going up and down and around, I thought a vent had to be relatively upwards the whole time and could only go so far horizontally?
Almost sounds like an island(loop) vent. But your description doesn't quite match the way code reads. Was this piped in a half wall so the vent couldn't go vertical to the ceiling?
BTW, why were you looking at the plumbers work? You're supposed to be wiring the place
About ferncos- I didn't catch your fernco comment in the opening post. While I totally agree with Rudolph58, I am still surprised to see them on past remodels that have been signed off by the AHJ. But then, these plumbing inspectors also double as building inspectors(or is it the other way around)
Look at cast iron No hub piping in walls or ceiling sometime and you will instantly see the difference between fernco and a NH coupling

Last edited by TheEplumber; 08-21-2010 at 11:09 AM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Almost sounds like an island(loop) vent. But your description doesn't quite match the way code reads. Was this piped in a half wall so the vent couldn't go vertical to the ceiling?
Yeah, it had to go horizontally into a lower attic space behind a knee wall where it met up with other vents and then went out that low roof.
Quote:
BTW, why were you looking at the plumbers work? You're supposed to be wiring the place
LOL I have a bit of work to do in my bathroom so I have been paying attention to plumbing.
Quote:
About ferncos- I didn't catch your fernco comment in the opening post. While I totally agree with Rudolph58, I am still surprised to see them on past remodels that have been signed off by the AHJ. But then, these plumbing inspectors also double as building inspectors(or is it the other way around)
Look at cast iron No hub piping in walls or ceiling sometime and you will instantly see the difference between fernco and a NH coupling
Gotcha, thanks guys