Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Changing anode rod

I want to change the anode rod in my water heater, but need some help. I know that you have to shut the cold water off, but do I have to empty out a few gallons from the tank or can I just turn the water on, upstairs, to release pressure? Also, I know that I need to remove the old rod, but I am not sure what kind of setup I have, because I have a copper pipe coming out from where the anode rod seems to be. I have attached a pic. Any help would be great. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Changing anode rod-photo.jpg  

joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Changing anode rod

That is a popular brand of water heater - maybe a manual can be found on the web to help you? I edited this post - on this site they mention tank warranties relating to if or how many anode rods a tank has. If your tank didn't have a above minimum warraty maybe you don't have an anode rod. ( as was mentioned)

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...er-anodes.html

Last edited by Mrdippy; 02-07-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Changing anode rod

What year was your WH manufactured? I had the same brand and needed to replace the same thing, discovered there was a recall...

###

Strike that...as soon as I hit post I realized it was the dip tube that crapped out and had the class action suit/recall, not the anode. Sorry.

Last edited by golddog; 02-07-2011 at 02:46 PM.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Changing anode rod

THe anode is a hex nut on the top of the top of the tank, can't be seen from this view or you don't have one.

I did notice though, you haven't installed dielectric couplings, this should definately be fixed.

See attached ----http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/plumbing/heating/dom_water/connect.htm

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 02-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,026

Changing anode rod

Shut off the incoming cold water. Water will probably not come out of the heater when you remove the anode but if someone upstairs turns on a hot faucet or a hot faucet drips slightly, water will fall down out of the pipes upstairs and pour out of the opening that the anode rod was in.

To play it safe, open a hot faucet upstairs with the cold feed off and drain just a a few gallons from the water heater.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #6

Changing anode rod

I found the manual and it looks like the anode rod is located where you see the copper pipe attached and coming down in front. What is that copper pipe and is it safe to remove it? The water heater is about 10 years old or so and I just saw an episode of This Old House where they changed the anode rod and I wanted to see if I needed this done.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Changing anode rod

The copper pipe has the pressure relief valve on it in the event your water heater breaks and super heats the water into highly pressurized steam - it prevents the tank from exploding. In my area / I'd assume all a pipe must be attached to that valve and directed downward for safety so someone doesn't catch it in the face. I was looking at an online plumbing supply and some of the replacement anodes they sold look like they're a part of the hotwater outlet - maybe that is the kind you'd need to use in this case.
Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

Changing anode rod

Thanks. I just looked at the manual again and it looks like the anode rod is where the pressure relief valve should be. There is another opening on the back of the unit, that has a plastic plug in it. I removed the plug and it has foam in it. Is it possible that the anode rod is in there?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Changing anode rod

A little off topic but I'm planning on replacing the anode rod in my 4yo GE 50 gallon electric water heater soon just as a precautionary maintenance. Yet, to my dismay, none of the big box stores carry or even sell them. How bout that?...the one part that can triple the life of your water heater if replaced regularly isn't carried by them. They just want your water heater to die right after the warranty runs out so you can blow another $400+ on a new one.
GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #10

Changing anode rod

I called the manufacturer and they told me that if the plumber put the relief valve where the anode rod should be then the anode rod is in the hot water inlet side. As for the big box stores not carrying the anode rods, I have found them pretty cheap online. Just find the correct one and do a google search and you should be all set.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 544

Changing anode rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
I want to change the anode rod in my water heater, but need some help. I know that you have to shut the cold water off, but do I have to empty out a few gallons from the tank or can I just turn the water on, upstairs, to release pressure?
Since you have hot water faucets that are higher than the top of your water heater, then I think it's imperative that your drain a few gallons from the tank first. You don't want hot scalding water gushing out at you while you are removing the anode rod.

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #12

Changing anode rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Since you have hot water faucets that are higher than the top of your water heater, then I think it's imperative that your drain a few gallons from the tank first. You don't want hot scalding water gushing out at you while you are removing the anode rod.

HRG
Thanks, will do. It seems odd that the rod would be in the same spot as where the hot water comes in, though. But, I guess that is where it has to be.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,018

Changing anode rod

I saw an episode of TOH and the anode rod was installed on top of the HWH. The anode rod was so long that some may have trouble clearing it due to low ceiling height/obstructions in the basement.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 544

Changing anode rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
Thanks, will do. It seems odd that the rod would be in the same spot as where the hot water comes in, though. But, I guess that is where it has to be.
There is no hot water "inlet" to a conventional water heater. Only two water pipes at the top are a cold water inlet and a hot water outlet. (There is a pipe for the pressure relief valve also of course.) There is a combination anode rod that can be installed on the hot water "outlet". It has openings near the top of the rod to let hot water out, with the anode hanging below the openings.

This is what a combination anode rod looks like. The one on the left is a combination anode rod. The one on the right is a standard anode rod:

And here's a link to where this photo came from:
http://www.abetsolar.com/anodes

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 02-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #15

Changing anode rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
There is no hot water "inlet" to a conventional water heater. Only two water pipes at the top are a cold water inlet and a hot water outlet. (There is a pipe for the pressure relief valve also of course.) There is a combination anode rod that can be installed on the hot water "outlet". It has openings near the top of the rod to let hot water out, with the anode hanging below the openings.

This is what a combination anode rod looks like. The one on the left is a combination anode rod. The one on the right is a standard anode rod:

And here's a link to where this photo came from:
http://www.abetsolar.com/anodes

HRG
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I actually meant the hot water outlet, sorry. I saw the same episode of TOH, which is what made me think to change the rod. lol