Center Drain Washine Machine Outlet Box Question Please Help!! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Center Drain Washine Machine Outlet Box Question Please Help!!

Hello to all, I would like to say thank you to anyone who is reading my post and is willing to take their time to help. I will try and keep my question short and to the point.

I am currently out of town on business when I received a phone call from my wife explaining there was a large amount of water leaking from the base of the wall, directly underneath the baseboard next to the washing machine and traveling down the hallway. She immediately directed her attention to the water connections behind the washing machine where she noticed a small drip coming from where the cold water hose attaches to the permanent spigot. My question is this and please correct me if I am incorrect, but this center drain outlet box is constructed so if there was a small drip or leak the excess water would travel into the drain and out the house and not into the wall correct? This box should be constructed with no open seems or areas where excess water could travel into the wall correct? The box is one uniformed piece of molded plastic correct? The reason I ask is this is a brand new home and I will need to file a warranty claim with the builder if the drain box is defective.

I thank you for all your time and efforts with my ongoing issue. You all take care and have a great evening.

Best regards,

Josh

Advertisement

Last edited by joshua.easter; 07-23-2012 at 12:19 AM.
joshua.easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #2

**Update** After conducting some research on Google I may have a better idea of how this might have occured. From what I can tell these boxes are a two piece construction, one being the actual mountable housing which mounts pre-drywall and second piece being the decorative wall bezel which hides the ugly drywall joinery. This two piece construction could or does leave a vulnerbale area/gap where water could enter and travel into the wall correct?

When a plumber installs this decrative bezel to the housing does he caulk or place some type of seal or sealant between the two areas in order to create a seamless type seal so water can not excess areas such as the wall?

Sorry for all the questions I just need to have a better understaning of how these items are installed so I can better understand their functionability.

Josh

Advertisement

Last edited by joshua.easter; 07-23-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

There are at least 2 ways the box can leak-1. trim plate as you mentioned 2. the holes in the base that the hot and cold valves come through. Very seldom have I seen either of these spots water tight. Water being in the base of the box is not it's main purpose. Therefore little attention is given to sealing it- unfortunately. If you have water coming into the hallway. I'd suspect an unglued fitting in the wall.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #4

Thanks for your fast and informative reply Eplumber! What is interesting about the box installation is both spigots are installed from the top and not through the bottom of the box. I suppose this is as normal as mounting the spigots from the bottom correct? Are there any specific reasons for mounting the spigots on the top versus the bottom locations?

With this being stated this leaves no other areas located on the bottom of the box which would allow for water ingress besides for the decorative bezel connection. Yes an unglued fitting in the wall could and would cause this type of issue. I am just trying to cover all my bases before I go speaking with the builder stating he will have to shell out a great amount of funding to correct this issue.

Thanks again
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.easter View Post
Thanks for your fast and informative reply Eplumber! What is interesting about the box installation is both spigots are installed from the top and not through the bottom of the box. I suppose this is as normal as mounting the spigots from the bottom correct? Are there any specific reasons for mounting the spigots on the top versus the bottom locations?

With this being stated this leaves no other areas located on the bottom of the box which would allow for water ingress besides for the decorative bezel connection. Yes an unglued fitting in the wall could and would cause this type of issue. I am just trying to cover all my bases before I go speaking with the builder stating he will have to shell out a great amount of funding to correct this issue.

Thanks again
For some reason only known to your plumber, his lines are above the box. A plumber will enter the top of the box as an alternative to routing the pipes around the box to enter the bottom, simply a labor and material savings. Usually the pipes enter the bottom.
Most boxes have factory "knock outs" in the bottom that are removed at the time of rough in to receive the valves. These knock outs may be leaking or even possibly removed altogether.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #6

Eplumber I totally agree with your statement with the installer cutting cost by installing the spigots through the top versus the bottom. It never seems to amaze me with the lengths people will go to try and save a few dollars even if it means conducting the installation incorrectly.

Here is another question, lets say the water entered through the void between the housing assembly and the decorative wall plate, would this be considered a fault from the plumber requiring the builder to repair the damages due to faulty workmenship and installation or would the installation be considered correct and the damage be considered my fault due to a leaky hose??

From the information I gather the decorative wall plate does not have to be caulked or sealed in order for the installation to be correct and if this is the case then I will be held responsible for the damages because the builder will state their contractor installed the box correctly and the entended use for the box is not to drain excess water from a leaking valve or hose but to house the two spigots and allow for the installation and insertion of the drain hose. I would disagree with this statement but in order for me to hold them liable I would have to contact the original manufature and obatin documentaion stating the actual fundimental purpose or intended use behind their product was specifically to drain any excess water into the drain hole not allowing excess water to penetrate into crucial wall areas.

Anyways any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by joshua.easter; 07-23-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

While channeling a drip into the drain opening is a niceity, lack of caulking or cement at that location might not be incorrect if the installation instructions does not specify that..

More importantly, there should not be a drip at that location.

The water should be turned off using the shutoff on the wall when the washing machine is not in use. Floods from burst washing machine hoses are high up there on the list of common insurance claims.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-23-2012 at 07:40 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.easter View Post
Eplumber I totally agree with your statement with the installer cutting cost by installing the spigots through the top versus the bottom. It never seems to amaze me with the lengths people will go to try and save a few dollars even if it means conducting the installation incorrectly.
Wait a minute here. Who said it was wrong?

Every washing machine outlet box i've ever seen has extra knockouts for both drain and waters so you can mount it either direction. If the waterlines were run overhead, why would you want to loop them underneath the box again if you don't have to? More pipe, more joints, more chance for leak, which seems to be your initial reason for creating this thread.

The boxes we use have a dam on the front of them. That doesn't mean necessarily that somebody did something wrong, used the wrong box, etc etc..... They are not designed to be water tight 100% anyway.

My final point : If this leak is from the washing machine hose as you said, and is leaking through the box, i'm going to bet you have a really difficult time getting anyone else to "correct the problem" due to the fact that the leak was nothing to do with anything in the house, other than an exposed connection that was either made by an appliance installer, or the homeowner. Assuming that the builder did install your appliances and caused the leak you may have a little more leverage, but that still has nothing to do with the washing machine box. I'm going to bet what he tells you is : "That box has valves for a reason. You're supposed to shut them off when you're not using the washer. Why didn't you?"
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Plumber/Contractor

Allen, I totally agree with you. When I said it was cost savings, I didn't mean to imply that it was a cheap shortcut- simply practical.
The intent of a washer box is to allow for a recessed location for the valves and stand pipe. I don't believe it is recognized as a water tight indirect receiver.
The OP should check his machine out thoroughly for leaks at the pump and hoses. Also discharge a lot of water directly into the standpipe. Doing these steps will help verify the leak source. I was given the impression that a large amount of water got on the floor- more then a drippy hose could account for.
Joshua, your in for a tough fight trying to convince the builder/plumber they are at fault. Verify the source of the problem first.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Allen, I totally agree with you. When I said it was cost savings, I didn't mean to imply that it was a cheap shortcut- simply practical.
The intent of a washer box is to allow for a recessed location for the valves and stand pipe. I don't believe it is recognized as a water tight indirect receiver.
The OP should check his machine out thoroughly for leaks at the pump and hoses. Also discharge a lot of water directly into the standpipe. Doing these steps will help verify the leak source. I was given the impression that a large amount of water got on the floor- more then a drippy hose could account for.
Joshua, your in for a tough fight trying to convince the builder/plumber they are at fault. Verify the source of the problem first.
Your post made perfect sense to me, but he seemed to be taking it a bit out of context, but again, my perception could have been off.... at any rate, I saw a situation similar to this a few months back. H.O. has laundry room remodeled, and calls me there to fix the lines that were swapped hot for cold and vice versa. While i'm under there, I found a leak coming through the hole in the floor. I explain to the H.O. that the washing machine will need to be pulled out and the hose connections checked. Sure enough, it was the hose connection leaking, but it was too late, and the drywall had to be demolished.

No fault of anyone but the H.O. who hooked up the washing machine.

Advertisement