DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Caulking / Tub Problem

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ron The Plumber 
#1 ·
The contractor that remodeled our bathroom about 2 years ago didn't put down cement board or anything under the new tub to level it. Two years later, the caulking never stays because the tubs moves just enough so it doesn't stick to the tile. Is there any thing better than caulk?

I saw this stuff used on brick buildings that looks like caulk but much appears stronger, thicker, and seems to have elasticity when I touch it.

I've tried many types of caulk and silicone but it never works. I have had 3 different professionals/plumbers do the caulking three other times and the same result each time. The tub doesn't move a lot (not visible unless you really look at it) but just enough so the caulk separates from tile.

Just as an FYI we've done all the following also:

- make sure the area was completely dry (we even put a dehumidifier in there to make sure)

- let it set for over 72 hours

- filled the tub with water

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

L-

See less See more
#2 ·
This is what you can do, if you have access to the underside, fill tub up with water, now get some of that great stuff, a few cans of it, foam in the can stuff, also get so 3/8 pex tubing, you will need it to get deep under the belly of the tub, with tub full, fill the cavities up with the foam, remember you have to get deep under it, just getting the front won't do you no good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.