Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

Caulking large gaps in shower enclose+to caulk or grout a tub with tile.

Hi all! I have two questions as follows:

1) Shower enclosure with large gaps: About two years ago I had a shower kit installed and I noticed large gaps between the panels and glass panels with the and the pan. Clearly it wasn't installed properly. I used a silicone sealant to fill the gaps, which are as wide as 1/4", and sealant came off. Another problem with the shower is that it is leaking water from the sides of the door. We have to stand a mob near the corner to catch the pooled water. After reading another post (Nestor_Kelebay), I fear it may be very difficult to remove the silicone from these ackward nooks. So I'm getting ready to try and fix it again.

I now regret having installed this thing and am considering pulling it out and replacing it with a good old fashioned hand laid shower stall with tiles and grout. However, I would like to get this thing in good shape until I have the $ to replace it.

2) Upstairs bathroom: I just removed a moldy silicone caulk between the tub and wall. Question, should I replace it with easier to use acrylic caulk? Or should I go old school and replace it with grout?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

pilsengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,426

Caulking large gaps in shower enclose+to caulk or grout a tub with tile.

Have no idea what you are talking about with the "Shower enclosure with large gaps" thing. A picture would be dandy.

The leaks can be fixed by re-caulking the whole shower apparatus but you must see to a few things first.

The old caulk must be totally removed. If it is silicone there are silicone caulk remover chemicals available. Once the old caulk is removed the junctures to be caulked must be totally dry. Not just "maybe dry" but totally dry, like wick all the junctures with a dry towel then put a fan on the unit for about six hours to dry it out.

Upstairs:
You do not want to use grout where caulk should be used. Caulk should be used to seal all junctures and changes in plane. Grout is not waterproof and will not work in those applications.

Use a siliconized caulk and NOT A 100% SILICONE CAULK. Silicone (100% silicone) caulk is hard to work with and doesn't work all that well in the hands of a novice. On the other hand "siliconized caulk" and acrylic caulk can be tooled and cleaned up with a wet sponge or wet finger during installation.

Nestor_Kelebay is a slum lord living in Canada that prides himself in knowing everything there is to know about everything there is to know about. He owns a few dumpy apartments and brags about them every chance he gets. His photos of his property show what slums they really are. So I would be careful what advice I take from ole Nestor_Kelebay, the Canadian Answer Man. He's probably related to that idiot Holmes anyway.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 07-31-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, sealant, shower, silicone, tile