Caulking Inside Of Shower Door Threshold - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Caulking Inside of Shower Door Threshold

A little over 4 years ago we had a shower door installed in out master bath. Recently the caulking failed on the lower door threshold and I now need do a re-caulk job. However, I am wondering about one issue. The original installer caulked the inside and outside of the shower door threshold but the threshold has weep holes that are not covered (see attached picture). It would appear to me that the weep holes will allow water in and with both sides of the threshold caulked, the water can not escape. The constant contact with water may have caused the caulking failure.

The question is whether I should or should not caulk the inside of the shower door threshold?

Thanks

Art Rigsby
Attached Thumbnails
Caulking Inside of Shower Door Threshold-picture-video-003-small-.jpg  

Advertisement

arigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,166

Do you happen to still have any installation manuals from when it was installed?

http://texasshowercompany.com/shower-door-leak

recaulking shower stall - weep holes?

Advertisement

Last edited by hammerlane; 03-09-2012 at 03:32 PM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
arigsby (03-10-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

The installer never left the installation instructions. I am usually very good about having those things but this one got by me.

I have to assume by the linked article I would not caulk the inside of the door as that is the only place water can drain out of. The weep holes have never been closed off.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Did he put the channel in upside down? When water hits the door and runs down the weeping holes are to let water out of the channel. Not sure why the holes would be open to the underside.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

Are "the holes would be open to the underside" or just exit/drain to the side of the threshold?
If the latter, caulk on the inside of the threshold where it meets the marble base to prevent water from running under it (keep the water inside the shower and don't let it escape except to the drain).
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #6

The replies from bob22 and moneymgmt got me to thinking more about the holes. I decided to see what happens to the water that enters the holes. Using an ear syringe, I started filling the holes with water. The water came back out the holes once the channel was full. No water was seen coming from underneath the channel which I had originally assumed was happening. The only water that actually enters the holes when showering is the water that bounces off the shower stall floor. Water coming down the shower door is deflected by a curved hood (best word I could think of) that extends out horizontally from the door.

The holes make absolutely no sense to me and it now appears the inside of the shower door should be caulked, which will not cover the holes.

Thanks to all for your replies/advice.

Advertisement