Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #1

Share |

Cast Iron Sink

I have an old cast iron sink in my house that from what i can tell is original to the house. It has been taken out and is currently in the basement so work in the kitchen can continue as needed to get everything in there ready for paint and new cabinets.

The bottom of the sink has what looks like a date and the casting information. Is there anyway to get a reasonable assessment of the value of the sink as is or with a little cleaning? The date is (from what i can tell) 10-17-21 and the casting information is from here in Louisville. Also - does anyone know if it is worth trying to sell or should it stay with the home as an original piece, even if it isn't hooked up?

Thanks!

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Cast Iron Sink

If it's original to your house, I would keep it with the house, even if you choose not to use it right now. You may change your mind in the future.
I'm a real estate broker, and people who love older historic homes love to have original fixtures when they can.
It would probably be worth more to you in the long run to keep it with your house, if you ever sell it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #3

Cast Iron Sink

I'm not an expert, but the local Habitat for Humanity store has iron sinks that size for not too much.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Cast Iron Sink

Recently the Federal Government issued a complete ban on ownership of cast iron sinks which show the original casing date and manufacturer. Only licensed dealers may have them now, of which I am. Please send this sink to me to prevent Government Intervention. Seriously now: Those sinks are extremely valuable in my area. People are retrofitting their homes with those old style sinks when/if they can find them. About two years ago I was asked to install one the customer had found in an "Antique Shop" which had drain boards on both sides, one long unit. Other than weighing close to 400#, this was a beautiful sink. She had it re-glazed by a local bathtub re-glazer and it looks as if new. Great find, keep it is my vote. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #5

Cast Iron Sink

The only reglazing that's worth doing is the kind where they fire the piece in a Kiln.

$$$

The rest amount to paint, and it won't hold up to use in a tub, let alone a kitchen sink.

When my buddy tore out his old bathrooms I was considering taking his old iron sinks and having them refinished until I found out that it woud be around $400. You gotta really love old stuff to pay that much for a bathroom sink. I have no idea how much a ginormous sink like that would cost to re-do, but I bet it's a lot.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote