Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |

Cast Iron Pipe Type - SV or XH

Hi,

I'm trying to fit a piece of ABS into a cast iron hub for a new toilet set up. The existing material is lead and needs to be replaced. See attached picture.

I am going to try and find an appropriate donut gasket that I could slip around the new ABS pipe and then insert it into the CI hub.

I need to figure out what type of CI pipe I currently have - service weight or extra heavy weight.

The stamped markings on the side of the hub say "3X4 1/4" which I take to mean that the hub is transitioning from 3" pipe to 4". The inside diameter of the CI hub is pretty close to 5", with the outside diameter being about 5 7/8.

The actual 3" pipe that connects to this hub has a circumference of 10 5/8, which translates into about 3.4" OD.

I do not see XH or SV stamped on any of the pipe. How do I tell if this CI pipe is SV or XH type?

Thanks so much.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Cast Iron Pipe Type - SV or XH-ci-hub-2.jpg  
northerndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

You have the whole floor opened up and access under the floor, now's the time to get rid of all the cast iron you can.
At some point it's all going to leak and cause clogs.
Why ABS? Go with PVC instead. Main reason at least in my area almost no one is carrying it any more.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #3

The CI pipe is fully accessible from the basement. I took out part of the bathroom floor because of rot form the broken flange, but the CI pipe itself is in good shape - no leaks and never had a clog. Why replace something if it is still working fine? The CI will need to be replaced someday but it is fine for now.

Would you happen to know about my original question on the type of pipe?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
call me E

You probably won't know the weight until you snap it or read it on the side of the fitting- go with a standard doughnut
FYI- PVC is almost a special order in my neck of the woods- you won't find it at a home center. ABS is the flavor of the day
Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

So E, how would you suggest he fix this?
Agree or disagee on cutting out and replacing the old cast?

Would you agree at least it would be easyer to snap the cast and use a Furnco and new ABS up to the and incliding the flange instead of having to dig out the old pipe and use a donut that may or may not leak.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
So E, how would you suggest he fix this?
Agree or disagee on cutting out and replacing the old cast?

Would you agree at least it would be easyer to snap the cast and use a Furnco and new ABS up to the and incliding the flange instead of having to dig out the old pipe and use a donut that may or may not leak.
I'd probably make a simple snap downstream of the 90 and rebuild with plastic. Those doughnuts can be a pain in the rear sometimes. I wouldn't get into the stack though. CI has a shorter life span, but it's a quieter pipe and it's sound and exposed.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #7

joe and e thats exactly the proper way to make this repair.. cut downstream of the 90 degree and build with plastic....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #8

Exactly what I was thinking.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #9

I thought of doing that and using a no-hub banded connector to join the CI to plastic but as you can see from this bottom view of the pipe set up, that is not possible. That 90 hooks into a T - see pic. The CI running from left of the T is the air vent going up to the roof and the CI running from the right of the T travels vertical about 4 feet then goes down into the basement - see the other pic.

I'm starting to think that I should just replace all the CI with plastic. Was hoping this was a DIY project but I'm not taking that CI down myself so will have to call a plumber.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Cast Iron Pipe Type - SV or XH-bottom-view-ci-hub.jpg   Cast Iron Pipe Type - SV or XH-ci-setup.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

still could just replace that small section....could cut behind tee and cut hub of fitting going to vent use fernco or mission cupplings pipe with plastic ...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Roofmaster

I Completely agree with Joe 1000% Cut off the CI, and convert to DWV PVC with a Fernco or Mission coupling on straight run. You can cut through CI with a right angle grinder with a metal blade, just wear ear, eye, face protection, and mist old wood with water first. Make sure you strap that CI up before cutting so you don't break your foot.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cast iron adapter