Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #1

Share |

Cast iron pipe broken?

I have started a basement bathroom project that involves moving the stub for a tub drain into the center of the space and putting in a shower drain instead. I have broken out the concrete slab and discovered that the cast iron pipe under the slab appears to be cracked/broken. The pipe appears rusted and bulged and is moist. I believe the toilet in this bath joins the same pipe roughly 3 to 4 feet away. Does it seem reasonable to think I need to break up the slab to the vicinity of that joint and replace the whole section? Is there any way to seal the pipe without removing it? (I think I'm grasping at straws there!) I thought about trying to cut the pipe further up, but I'm afraid that it all may be weak and crumble. Seems strange to find this pipe damaged - the house is only 25 years old, the pea gravel under pipe seems normal.

tervic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #2

Cast iron pipe broken?

I cannot see the pipe, but it sounds bad to me. Since you are changing from a tub to a shower, you may as well dig up the pipe and make it to code. Tub drains are 1-1/2" and shower drains are 2" per code.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #3

Cast iron pipe broken?

There is a way to seal the cast iron but in the long run, it is going to leak.
It is better to cut the ugly portion, and make a connection to black PVC of the same size using a neophrene gasket at both ends to tighten the joints. It is easier said than done, especially that you have the concrete.
Good Luck.
Gabriel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
MasterPlumber

Cast iron pipe broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
I cannot see the pipe, but it sounds bad to me. Since you are changing from a tub to a shower, you may as well dig up the pipe and make it to code. Tub drains are 1-1/2" and shower drains are 2" per code.
It's always been code that ANY pipe buried underground or under a slab is to be 2" minimum no matter if it's a tub or not.

Last edited by ironrange; 02-18-2009 at 01:41 PM.
ironrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #5

Cast iron pipe broken?

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to do some more digging (literally!) this afternoon and I'll report back about I find.
tervic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #6

Cast iron pipe broken?

Ironrange. I have installed many 1-1/2" pipes under slabs for houses. You may be talking about a certain areas code, but in Florida, we ran all the lines under the slab and not all were 2". I have also seen the rough-in piping here in Arkansas with the same thing.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
MasterPlumber

Cast iron pipe broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Ironrange. I have installed many 1-1/2" pipes under slabs for houses. You may be talking about a certain areas code, but in Florida, we ran all the lines under the slab and not all were 2". I have also seen the rough-in piping here in Arkansas with the same thing.
Yes, I was refering to the plumbing code here in Mn., minimum 2" always.

ironrange is offline   Reply With Quote