Cast Iron Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Cast Iron Pipe

Hi there. I have cast iron pipes in my home and am considering changing out to PVC while I am working on a bathroom reno. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should bother?
Also, I removed the flange that holds the bolts on the floor for my toilet. It is metal and meets with a cast iron piece. The top of the cast iron pipe is fairly malleable and folds over the flange when installed. The portion that is malleable is attached to the cast iron drain. It seems to be damaged and coming off the pipe in places.
Do I need to worry about this? Can it be molded over a new flange and then filled in with the wax ring stuff?


ehv8trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,118
Rewards Points: 2,000

PVC is easy to work with and cheap, but very noisey in walls close to other living spaces. I would stick with iron, good for about 100 yrs. There are PVC flanges that work in iron.


Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,670
Rewards Points: 1,000

Cast iron does not "fold" over the top of the flange. You have cast iron pipe with a lead bend for the toilet drain. I would change out only the area of cast iron where the lead connects. You will probably need to install a new tee. Cast iron is much quieter than PVC.
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks very much for the replies. I knew the cast iron wasn't bending but couldn't figure out what was attached at the top of the pipe. It's all knew to me.
I think I'll stick with the cast iron for now.
ehv8trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 489
Rewards Points: 250

They make a toilet flange for just your situation. It is the cat's meow as they say it. You insert it into the cast iron and then as you tighten up the screws a piece of flexible rubber compresses and seals up tightly. You should be able to find it at a plumbing supply store.
Josh Jaros Remodeling in The Woodlands, Texas
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cast iron drain pipe? sharp Plumbing 3 10-14-2009 11:52 AM
Cast iron pipe broken? tervic Plumbing 6 02-18-2009 06:23 PM
Backing off OLD galvanizd pipe...& PVC to cast iron michael76 Plumbing 13 02-17-2009 11:18 PM
Cast iron and rusty pipe question snowens Plumbing 2 07-27-2008 10:07 AM
smoothening cut cast iron pipe before mounting fernco coupling amakarevic Plumbing 6 11-15-2007 05:39 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1