DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cast Iron Hub

871 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  parvinr69 
#1 ·
I was needing to replace my Toilet so when i remove the toilet the closet flange broke and took part of the 4inch cast iron pipe with it! I should cut the cast pipe off flush with the vertical facing hub remove the lead/oakum seal and replace with pvc up to the floor! i was wondering if it would be feasable to cut the cast pipe off flush with the vertical facing hub and use a hub style fernco and come up with pvc! I would have the secure the pvc to prevent movement either way I go! but my concern was the fernco seeping!

#2 ·
Got a picture?
Attaching PVC to cast pipe once it's been cut off is done all the time with hubless connectors without trouble.
Make sure the one you buy says cast to PVC.

Reactions: parvinr69
#3 ·
cast iron hub

Between the new pvc closet flange and the cast hub I do not have enough room for piping and a hubless connection that is why i was wondering about using a hub type fernco the kind that clamps over the cast hub! Sorry no pics right now! Thanks for your timely reply

#4 ·
Between the new pvc closet flange and the cast hub I do not have enough room for piping and a hubless connection that is why i was wondering about using a hub type fernco the kind that clamps over the cast hub! Sorry no pics right now! Thanks for your timely reply
Thats hard to say since I have no idea where the hub is in relation to the flange.
Can you cut the 90 off and couple to the horz. closet arm? Replace the 90 and riser with plastic and use a CI x PLAS shielded coupling.
I myself wouldn't use a fernco that goes over a hub

#5 ·
cast iron hub

Looking through the hole in floor the waste goes down vertical into a cast hub from the hub it 90s into another cast hub this is the t that goes to the soil pipe and vent! Now from the top of the floor inside bathroom straight down I do not have enough length for toilet flange,coupling,and a hubless connector! If I cant use the over the hub fernco the only other option i see is to cut the pipe off flush with the hub and remove the lead oakum seal from the hub and go from there with my fix of pvc! Btw my location is n.w. alabama house was built in 1959! Thank you for your timely reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.