DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cast iron baseboard leak

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Lisac 
#1 ·
I just brought a house once the heat was turned on we found that there is a leak in the front room cast iron baseboard radatiors. 12 fee, How can we fix this. Do we need to replace the radatiors.

#3 ·
cast iron baseboard radaitor

My plumber said that I need to replace the two cast iron radiators in the front room due to the leak, but to get the 24 inches that will cost me $1,500. However, we do not know if there are any other leaking radiators, because there is not shut off for the front room. He will have to fix those first and move on to see if there are other cast iron radiators that are leaking. He said I could go with cooper, which is cheaper, but I will need to change all the rooms and the basement to cooper. My question is would i also need new piping if i switched from the cast iron to the cooper? The front room and the kitchen are both about 24 inches. The bed rooms are about ten inchen and the basement also. The bath are about 4 inches. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost me to replace them all with cast iron, or to replace them all with cooper?

Thank you,
Lisac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.