Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

cartridge faucet problem.

i have a moen cartridge kitchen faucet. there was a drip at the spout tip. i replaced the cartridge. the leak was still present, so i replaced the faucet. was this correct action?

i figured the faucet body must have been worn where the o-rings of the cartridge meet it, allowing water through. there was a wierd thing going on. it only leaked when the cold water line was open (by iteself and when both hot and cold were open). it would not leak when only the hot line was open. also the leaked pattern changed as i rotated the handle to a different position.

drewhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I probably woulda tried a second 1225 cartridge and moving the handle manually to see if either one stopped the leak.

If not, then you did the right thing.

The Moen single lever faucet would have been a better design if the 1225 cartridge slid into a REPLACEABLE brass sleeve. Unfortunately, it slides right into the smooth bore of the faucet body, and that's a kick in the butt if that bore gets scratched for some reason.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-22-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Most are aware that it is necessary to verify that a new cartridge is correctly inserted to get hot and cold water when expected. I discovered (by turning off the cold water supply) that my hot and cold were reversed. I assumed it was a legacy problem with a house recently purchased.

I was wrong. I took the faucet apart, rotated the old cartridge, verified it was correctly positioned (using the test with cold turned off), and considered the issue fixed when with the hot water valve on (and cold off), only the hot side produced water.

Not so. A day later, the hot and cold were wrong again.

I am now assuming this is a cartridge problem. I plan to replace the old cartridge, but wonder if the standard replacement is just as good as an all brass replacement... namely, would the all brass version not have the switch problem after several years?

Hoping for someone who's seen something similar.

Thanks.

Last edited by waterdoc; 01-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.
waterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

If I recall, there's a lug on the top of the Moen 1225 cartridge that has to be at the top in order to have hot on the left and cold on the right.

I think the original cartridge would have had a higher "intrinsic" value in your own mind. Things that are made of solid metal have a higher "quality" associated with them than anything made of plastic, since almost everything is made of plastic now.

But, objectively speaking, it'll last as long and work as well, and that trumps subjective opinion, doesn't it?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Replaced the cartridge, tested that hot was really on the left when the handle ( & adaptor) was on the left while facing the faucet, and all seems well. Moen's instructions indicate one should pull the cartridge, rotate it 180 degrees, and re-install if hot and cold are reversed. Actually, for the single lever faucet, all that's needed, if the cartridge is not faulty, is to remove the handle, the dome and the top part of the black plastic handle mechanism retainer. Then remove the cartridge screw and small black plastic adaptor fitting that links the handle adaptor to the cartridge stem, rotate the fitting and handle adaptor 180 degrees, and reconnect it. Reassemble the handle mechanism and add the dome plus the handle, then test by setting the handle to deliver hot water (to the left and lifted for a modest flow) and turn on the hot water supply. If it flows in the hot position, it should not flow when the lever is rotated to the cold position (to the right), assuming cold is still shut off. Now turn on the cold supply and the test is complete if water begins to flow with the handle to the right. Flow should continue through the full range from cold to hot.
waterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote