DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Capping copper water pipes

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

I just purchased a bi-level home and demo-ed the lower level bathroom that adjacent to furnace and water pressure tank. The water is heated through the furnace. We cut and capped -(flux soder welded) the copper pipes to the sink toilet and the baseboard heater there. The welds are holding with no groaning ,creaking or leaks. All the other sinks and showers and toilets work.

Here's the rub-
My father is worried that when we capped the copper pipes that this could cause damage to our pipes and system causing a pipe explosion somewhere. He thinks we should install temp other piping to redirect the water to relieve pressure like a u shaped elbow and have these all repaired by the time we start using hot water and move-in. We will be replacing these fixtures eventually but if it's capped we should be ok? There's no difference between a capped pipe and a closed faucet- is just back flows, right? How does this affect the baseboard plumbing? We are not using the hot water yet because we don't have oil.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Agree..you should still have a common return from the remaining radiators/system components plus as said, there is OR should be a safety valve at the boiler. Make sure there is and that it is installed correctly..piped to within a few inches of the floor and NOT capped off. Also do a manual test...i.e., pull release lever up to make sure it opens and observe to make sure it closes properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.