Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #1

Share |

Cap a pipe?

So I am in my new house and I find a damp area in my basement that looks moldy and decide it has to come out, after wrestling with the framing the damp seemed to get worse. There was a steel filing cabinet built into the framing I decided to move that out as well so it could dry. After I moved the filing cabinet I found the source of the damp. "Someone" had cut what looks like a cast iron pipe that appeared to be a 2" drain almost flush with the floor, then put the filing cabinet on top but failed to cap the pipe in any manor. I don't know the best way to cap this pipe, I have seen 2" rubber Fernco caps that look like it would work but I wonder if there is a better solution?

Dennis215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Owner

Cap a pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis215 View Post
So I am in my new house and I find a damp area in my basement that looks moldy and decide it has to come out, after wrestling with the framing the damp seemed to get worse. There was a steel filing cabinet built into the framing I decided to move that out as well so it could dry. After I moved the filing cabinet I found the source of the damp. "Someone" had cut what looks like a cast iron pipe that appeared to be a 2" drain almost flush with the floor, then put the filing cabinet on top but failed to cap the pipe in any manor. I don't know the best way to cap this pipe, I have seen 2" rubber Fernco caps that look like it would work but I wonder if there is a better solution?
You can use an expandable plug. First though, you need to figure out what that pipe is. Why is it just open, and why is it wet? If it's just a pipe sticking out of the ground there shouldn't be water in it. If it's a floor drain, it should be trapped; in which case you would see standing water in it all the time. Also if it's a floor drain it's there for a reason and can't be capped. If water is backing up out of it, then you have a blockage somewhere.

Can you post a picture?

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #3

Cap a pipe?

I am convinced that it was a sink that was moved from one side of the room to the other. I do have a floor drain in the middle of the floor. The pipe is sticking out about an inch at best. I looked down the pipe and there is "stuff" in the pipe, I have also poured water down the pipe and it drained very slowly away. I can not hear water draining. I would be happy to plug if that is the correct way to do it. I will post a pic tomorrow as I am not there now. Thanks for your quick response!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #4

Cap a pipe?

On closer examination the pipe is almost flush with the floor. I think that the "stuff" was an old rag jammed down the pipe.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
DIY staff

Cap a pipe?

Kind of looks like an old shower drain--Like Lateral suggested --use an internal plug.

They are black rubber with a big washer on each side--a bolt and wing nut--

tightening the wing nut squashes the rubber and expands it. ( Like squeezing an egg salad sandwich)
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Owner

Cap a pipe?

Quote:
tightening the wing nut squashes the rubber and expands it. ( Like squeezing an egg salad sandwich)
Haha ummm not sure I'd explain it like an egg salad sandwich. Probably more similar to the drain plug in my boat. Makes me hungry. 'Bout to throw some steaks on the grill though.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #7

Cap a pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmic View Post
Kind of looks like an old shower drain--Like Lateral suggested --use an internal plug.

They are black rubber with a big washer on each side--a bolt and wing nut--

LMAO .. Mike you give one heck of an analogy. Lunch anyone.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #8

Cap a pipe?

Don't hire BP for this one.

jennieburns25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cap, cast iron, pipe, sealing a pipe