Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #1

Share |

can't shut off cold water from main disconnect

I was planning on redoing the plumbing to my washer and utility tub in my basement, however I am unable to turn off the cold water.

I turned off the line coming out of the water heater, and then had no hot water coming out of the faucet.

I then turned off the main water line coming into the house, but that did not turn off the water. Any ideas what is going on here?

My house has a hot water furnace, could it be drawing water from there? I did get SOME brown water coming out of the pipes. Do I just need to let the system drain?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

DanBress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

Do you still have full pressure after main shut off?? IF so your valve MAY not actually be turning inside. is this right next to the water meter?? IF it is just a trickle YES the pipes do drain down,specially to lower level. Open a upstairs faucet and a downstairs one and gravity will help you out!! OR are you for real sure thats a supply water line and not running water the other way to the outside?? well or comunity water?? NO experience with furnace BUT doubt thats tied directly into the whole house water system. MOST are fill and add as required by using valves. Sort of a seperate closed loop system!!

IF your supply valve is defective you MAY have to dry ice your supply upstream froze solid to shut water supply off IFyou dont have a outside shut off and or way to stop water,shut off well etc.,,,while your doing that replace that shutoff with a 1/4 turn steam and water valve,,,much better than any old stem turn round and round and round type!!

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
Do you still have full pressure after main shut off?? IF so your valve MAY not actually be turning inside. is this right next to the water meter?? IF it is just a trickle YES the pipes do drain down,specially to lower level. Open a upstairs faucet and a downstairs one and gravity will help you out!! OR are you for real sure thats a supply water line and not running water the other way to the outside?? well or comunity water?? NO experience with furnace BUT doubt thats tied directly into the whole house water system. MOST are fill and add as required by using valves. Sort of a seperate closed loop system!!

IF your supply valve is defective you MAY have to dry ice your supply upstream froze solid to shut water supply off IFyou dont have a outside shut off and or way to stop water,shut off well etc.,,,while your doing that replace that shutoff with a 1/4 turn steam and water valve,,,much better than any old stem turn round and round and round type!!

thanks for all the info. I HAD full pressure, which is why i thought the water must have been coming from somewhere else.

I solved the problem by putting on gloves and turning the main disconnect knob as much as I could, this got me down to a trickle. Then i got out my monkey wrench and got another half turn out of that. Now everything is shut off!

thanks guys!
DanBress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #4

you still have the street shut off if you close that then break the hat off the in house shut off,and steel wool the gate and the seat inside with a long screwdriver.you should be able to unscrew the gate assembly off that interior house shut off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote