DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Can't remove washing machine shutoff valve (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/cant-remove-washing-machine-shutoff-valve-185420/)

sparky472 08-17-2013 10:05 AM

Can't remove washing machine shutoff valve
 
1 Attachment(s)
I need to replace the shutoff valve for my washing machine but am having trouble removing the hold one. Using channel lock

Attachment 74975

pliers and an adjustable crescent I am putting the backup wrench on the male threaded nut at the bottom and trying to loosen the female threaded valve but it won't budge (dont worry - the picture was taken before removing the washer hose). Not having a lot of room to work with inside that recessed box doesn't help.



Any ideas for loosening up the valve so I can get my nice new quarter-turn ball valves on there?

Thanks

rjniles 08-17-2013 10:17 AM

Use 2 wrenches, the bigger the better.

Are you turning the valve the right way? CCW looking from the top.

sparky472 08-17-2013 10:20 AM

I'm using two wrenches - a backup wrench on the male nut and another wrench to try and turn the valve - yes, CCW.

rjniles 08-17-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky472 (Post 1230437)
I'm using two wrenches - a backup wrench on the male nut and another wrench to try and turn the valve - yes, CCW.


The reason I said 2 wrenches is your first post said a wrench and pliers.

TarheelTerp 08-17-2013 10:53 AM

It's not corroded and you can even see fresh tape.
Wrenches really should do it.

Odds are you're fighting a cross thread.
Go at it with the expectation of replacing everything afterward.

CitadelBlue 08-17-2013 05:42 PM

I'm the kind of person who like it when my bride cuts OFF the water when she is finished with the laundry ...... the valves you have and are replacing don't last and usually leak either in the stem or weep in the valve itself. ....... you might just want to bite the bullet, open the wall and do some soldering or use the sharkbite fittings and replace the valves with one of these:

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/prod...off_valves.jpg

sparky472 08-17-2013 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@rjniles - yeah, I missed that thx. Tried two wrenches, won't budge.

@tarheel - Tape can't be too fresh. I've been in the house for almost 5 years.

@citadel - I agree with shutting it off and I want one of those single throw shutoffs, but the spread is too small for my pipe config.


Attachment 74995


Here's the thing. Looking closely at the other valve, the tape doesn't look like its wrapped around the threads where I think the male threaded pipe connects to the female threaded valve. Maybe I've got it wrong and the male threads are part of the valve and the nut at the bottom is female? I guess either way, it would t change anything as far as how I'm tying to separate the two...

plummen 08-17-2013 06:16 PM

Theres a nut on bottem side of washer box,then thers a either a female adaptor on the water line screwed to it,or the line is sweated onto the valve .
thats my guess anyway.

SPS-1 08-17-2013 07:37 PM

When you want to put a lot of torque on a fitting, you need a LONG wrench. Hammering on the wrench, pliers, etc, are all a waste of effort. If you don't have a couple of long wrenches, either buy them, or try slipping a piece of pipe on the wrench you do have.

jmon 08-17-2013 08:31 PM

Sparky, I agree, that close up looks like a male threaded shut off valve screwing into a female threaded connector. By the looks of it, you would think it would come right off. Try some PB blaster, tap it few times let it soak for awhile and try again. Remember to use counter acting force with two wrenches so you don't break the pipe. If it still doesn't budge your problem may be underneath as plummen suggests.

raylo32 08-18-2013 07:22 AM

Hey, Ken... a little OT re: the OP's question but I agree. I took it a step farther with one of these. It automatically shuts the valve in up to 2 1/2 hours depending on how far you throw the lever. I put it in yesterday in place of simple boiler drain valves so I had to do a bit of re-work to the copper pipes to add the adapters. But if you have the valve in your picture you can pop one of these on in about 10 minutes... just remove and replace 2 screws, and a good idea to use the new o-rings that come with it.

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps35565210.jpg

Alls you would need is this valve head:

http://www.amazon.com/Keeney-Manufac...=timeout+valve



Quote:

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue (Post 1230587)
I'm the kind of person who like it when my bride cuts OFF the water when she is finished with the laundry ...... the valves you have and are replacing don't last and usually leak either in the stem or weep in the valve itself. ....... you might just want to bite the bullet, open the wall and do some soldering or use the sharkbite fittings and replace the valves with one of these:

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/prod...off_valves.jpg


beenthere 08-18-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky472 (Post 1230600)
@rjniles - yeah, I missed that thx. Tried two wrenches, won't budge.

@tarheel - Tape can't be too fresh. I've been in the house for almost 5 years.

@citadel - I agree with shutting it off and I want one of those single throw shutoffs, but the spread is too small for my pipe config.


Attachment 74995


Here's the thing. Looking closely at the other valve, the tape doesn't look like its wrapped around the threads where I think the male threaded pipe connects to the female threaded valve. Maybe I've got it wrong and the male threads are part of the valve and the nut at the bottom is female? I guess either way, it would t change anything as far as how I'm tying to separate the two...


The valve is the male, not the adapter its screwed into.

As said earlier. Big wrenches give better torque.

raylo32 08-18-2013 08:27 AM

Another trick if the alignment works out is to brace one of the wrench's handles up against the wall or stud where it will stay once you put torque on the other wrench. Then you can put all your strength into turning the one wrench. Looking at your picture it really looks like it should come off... unless maybe it got cross threaded and galled up on install.

PoleCat 08-18-2013 08:38 AM

Two pipe wrench face to face 30 degrees apart. Squeeze the handles together.

sparky472 08-18-2013 08:54 AM

@jmon - tried pb blaster. No luck.

The problem with longer wrenches is they tend to be thicker too, and there simply isn't enough room to fit them in. Today I'll see if I can go buy a length of pipe that will fit over my wrench handles and try that. Hope it works. Otherwise I'm going into wall, cutting off pipes, sweating new connections. Not what I feel like doing today!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.