Can't Remove Old Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can't remove old valve

I am replacing a bathroom faucet. I have removed the old faucet as well as all the old, corroded drain pipes. I would like to replace the old valves, but can't get them to budge when trying to unscrew. I couldn't shut off the valves by hand to close the water supply. I think it's due to the hard water here in Tucson.

What should I do to get these valves off.

Advertisement

jporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

can't remove old valve

I assume these are threaded valves. If they are sweat fit, you need to use a torch to heat up the solder to get them off. You need to shut the water off before attempting to remove the valves, by your description they are on very tight, and you are going to need a pipe wrench or similar large leverage tool to remove them. In the process of removal, there is a reasonable chance you will either twist off the pipe they valves are attached to, or possibly damage the pipe beyond repair. I personally have had some epic problems with valve removal.

Based on my experience, you need to be prepared to replace the pipe stub when you try to remove a stuck valve. If the pipe stub is in reasonable condition, you can use two pipe wrenches, one to hold the pipe in place, one to turn the valve. Sometimes it helps to spray some WD-40 onto the old pipe/valve junction first. Assuming you can get the valve off, you may need to chase the threads before installing a new valve. I like to use a combination of teflon tape and pipe dope when installing a new valve, the pipe dope seems to reduce long term corrosion, and makes it easier to remove the valve in the future. Not to mention reduces leak potentia.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

can't remove old valve

Thanks Daniel! I finally got the valves off with a little extra help from a blow torch. Now, I think I need to remove the corroded galvanized nipples as well and replace them with brass nipples to help alleviate this sort of problem in the future. I can see that I have a brass fitting behind the galvanized nipple. Any suggestions on getting the galvanized nipples out?
jporty is offline   Reply With Quote