DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can't reinstall shower valve properly

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Marlin 
#1 ·
Ran into an issue with no hot water in my shower. We have bad sulfur water and have issues with the sulfur clogging filter, screen, valves, etc. elsewhere in the house so I proceeded to take the shower valve apart. Heavy brass casting housing the single handle mixer valve. Shower only unit, no tub. On the brass casting it looks like it is stamped SYMMONS. I can't find any other branding on the unit at all. Seems to be good quality. the mixer valve itself is a cylinder with sets of hole drilled around it. Sure enough, a bunch of those holles were plugged up tight with black junk. cleaned it all out and went to put everything back together. Here's where the trouble starts.

At first, when I threaded the valve assembly back into the body, I could barely turn the valve at all. I've tried threading it in with the valve fully open and with it fully closed. I finally got it to work somewhat but it still doesn't seem right - very stiff, not a lot of hot water and leaking water through the valve threads. I think there is an orientation/"timing" to the whole thing that I'm not gettign right, but don't know if there are alignment marks I need to find or what. I attached a pic of the assembly if that helps. I can post pics of any portion that will help. Help!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.