Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #1

Share |

Can't get my toilet to stop running...advice?

Hey All,

So I am having trouble to get my toilet to stop running (only runs very slightly but still there). This is a 3 year toilet installed by builder. I've tried all the usual adjustments but I think the problem is that my float doesn't put enough pressure on the top of the water control assembly (where the adjustment screw rests on top of the little button) to stop the water from trickling into the bowl. Basically if I pull up slightly on the float or push down on the little button on the top of the water control assembly the water will stop. Does this mean I need to purchase a new water control assembly or is there something else I can do?

Thanks

ChaoticBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

sounds like you have a fluidmaster. all you need to do is adjust the float. There's a spring clamp by the float on the vertical part of the arm. Squeeze it and move it down a bit.

also note that those style valves are plastic. and if I remember correctly, instructions say you can't use chlorinated toilet bowl cleaners in the tank because it can damage the plastic which can cause it to stick.

Last edited by acerunner; 10-05-2010 at 06:00 PM.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #3

It is a plastic assembly buy there is no spring clamp on the float. Only adjustment is the screw which I have tried already. Nothing on the float or arm for adjustment. This is why I think the assembly might need replacing.
ChaoticBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

It's a pretty cheap and easy replacement, the fill valve, under $10. I'd just replace it.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #5

Try to bend the float rod downward to force the float deeper into the water. This might increase the pressure on the valve button
antlerdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlerdancer View Post
Try to bend the float rod downward to force the float deeper into the water. This might increase the pressure on the valve button
that only applies to ball floats, which, from OPs description, is not what he has.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #7

Sometimes the flapper itself will build up with slimy deposits. THis can be easily checked by 1) lift the flapper and feel for this deposit, if it is there you can use a paper towel to scour it off the flapper and also scour the fitting that it rests in. 2) check the contour of the contact surface of the flapper itself, if it looks to be too irregular in shape to fit in its fitting below, then replace the flapper. If this is not the problem, then like the others who replied, I would replace the entire mechanism. Chances are that the contractor used "spec" material which is not mostly for longevity.

Good luck.
JimDD48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerunner View Post
that only applies to ball floats, which, from OPs description, is not what he has.
I disagree, acerunner. It sounds like he's got a ballcock rather than a Fluidmaster. The Fluidmaster doesn't have a screw on the top of the assembly. Sounds like maybe a Mansfield ballcock to me.

If it's the fill valve, then you'll see the water level in the tank is all the way up to the top of the overflow tube. If the problem is the flapper, the water in the tank will be low and you'll occasionally hear the toilet fill on its own.

Either way, whether it's a ballcock or Fluidmaster, you can first shut the water off, and remove the cap on top of the fill valve (Fluidmaster - simply lift the little arm and twist counter-clockwise; Ballcock - cap is either held on by a few screws; or some can also twist off after removing a little locking pin). After you get the cap off, look for sediment stuck between the washer(s) and seat. Flush it out a little by holding one hand loosely over the top of the open fill valve (just to deflect the water down into the tank) and turning the water supply on with the other. Put the cap back on and turn the water supply back on.

Another possibility is that the flapper is no good, or the chain attached to the flapper is too tight/short and won't let the flapper seat all the way down.

Last edited by Ishmael; 10-22-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss View Post
Hey All,

So I am having trouble to get my toilet to stop running (only runs very slightly but still there). This is a 3 year toilet installed by builder. I've tried all the usual adjustments but I think the problem is that my float doesn't put enough pressure on the top of the water control assembly (where the adjustment screw rests on top of the little button) to stop the water from trickling into the bowl. Basically if I pull up slightly on the float or push down on the little button on the top of the water control assembly the water will stop. Does this mean I need to purchase a new water control assembly or is there something else I can do?

Thanks
The first troubleshooting step for a toilet with a slow leak like you describe is to determine where the water is coming from. It could be the result of the following things that I can think of.

1. Is the tip of the rubber tube that comes from the valve assembly and protrudes down into the overflow tube lower than the water level in the tank? If so, there can be a siphoning action that allows water to flow down the overflow tube and gradually lowering the water level in the tank. Then the valve lets in more water but it's not the valve's fault. Insure that the rubber tube is attached to the overflow tube with a clip and that the tip of the rubber tube is higher than the water level in the tank.

2. Is the flapper at the bottom sealing 100%? If not, there can be a slow leak there which lowers the water level in the tank with the same results as step-1 above.

3. If the water in the tank is reaching the overflow tube, then the float mechanism needs to be adjusted to lower the level. If the water stops filling the tank below the overflow tube, continue to step-4.

4. The valve can be leaking due to old age. Try a repair kit or replace the whole valve assembly since they are fairly cheap. I have not had good luck with repair kits so I just replace the whole valve assembly. I like Fluid Master valves.

My experience anyway,
HomeRepairGuy

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 10-22-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #10

A picture is worth a thousand words. Does your toilet look like this?
Is the water level up to the top of the center overflow tube and flowing down the tube ?
Attached Thumbnails
Can't get my toilet to stop running...advice?-toilet.jpg  
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #11

the flapper that drops is leaking by thats why the water continues to make up...as suggested wipe the tank opening with a scouring pad and wipe the flapper or replace it

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote