Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

can't get cold enough in my shower now

I just installed a new tub and shower fixture in my home.
It works great except I live in south Florida and after I come in from working or jogging outside in the "Summer" months (April thru October at least) I like to take a "cold" (not the same as up north) shower so I can keep from sweating more than 2 hours after I get out.
I think the problem is that this faucet has the pressure balancing valve to prevent sudden changes in shower temperature (which is not a problem since we have the PEX Manibloc central control box anyway).
Therefore, my new shower hot/cold control valve does not allow all cold water to come out of the shower. It gets cooler but you can still tell there is some warm water mixed in.
Is this how they are supposed to work?
I was thinking of putting another valve to control the water going to the hot side of the valve so there is cold water going to both sides.
Do I have any other alternatives?

diyrb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #2

Some shower faucets have an adjustment under the front handle cap i.e. a dial with a set screw to allow or disallow range of motion in the handle.

If you really want to make sure you get the coldest shower possible, you could go to the water heater closet and see if there is a shut off valve for the water heater. It's a fun prank for people who hate cold showers.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Is this a new problem? The set screw i thought allows further range to get hot...it should always allow cold, I think.

Check out this thread...I still haven't tried it yet, but worth a read.

Shower doesn't get cold

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #4

The American Standard tub faucets where I work have a "balancing spool" and they rattle back and forth like the cartridge they talked about on the moen website. You can get stuck with cold, warm or hot water, depending on how the insert on the balancing spool hangs up.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Chicago, IL

I don't have the result in my notes, but I researched this a few years back and there is quite a bit of difference in the minimum temp setting of the various brands of valves.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote