Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

cant get an auger past a possible tee pipe

I have researched and researched, but it doesnt seem that very many people have had this issue. my house was built late 40's. We have a home warranty plan, and they sent out a pretty lazy plumber. he gave up. we went and rented a plumbing auger which we could not for the life of us, several hours over a couple of days, get the auger to down the correct way of the sewer clean out. i suspect its a tee pipe. is there a tool to help guide it down the right way? i am trying to avoid another plumber, and i dont think my husband wants to pull the toilet up so we can try it from that point.
DonikaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

None that I know of...

But sometimes it's really easier to pop the toilet
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
DonikaJackson (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

A plumber had to rent an auger
These home maintance policy's crack me up.
To remove a toilet is about a 2 min. DIY 101 job.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
call me E

Moved to the plumbing section-

My first question is- are you sure the blockage is below the cleanout?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

he didnt have to rent one (that i know of). my husband went and rented an auger and we failed. but my husband kind of didnt take to the pulling the toilet up idea very well.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

plus we have water and sewage come up from the clean out
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Home Warranty equals guy with a six pack of beer in their car, then tells you to hold the can they just popped open, while making it look like they know what they are doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonikaJackson View Post
he didnt have to rent one (that i know of). my husband went and rented an auger and we failed. but my husband kind of didnt take to the pulling the toilet up idea very well.
Hire a real plumber, stop paying on the warranty. You and your husband can do more damage than good if you do not know what you are doing when it comes to old plumbing.

Some of the old waste piping is nothing more than layers of tar paper, that tends to fall apart after twenty or so years in the ground.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

DJ....

1) I'm sure you've considered it, but is it a no go with chemicals.... or a pressure ____ (bladder).

Best and good luck

Peter
Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

the warranty came with the house. and we try to diy. 4 kids, so were trying to get off without having to pay 125/hr.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
call me E

There are ways to get around the tee, but it's difficult to do- I have watched seasoned plumbers work at it for awhile. I am assuming the tee is faced the right direction...
Your best option is to hire a good small shop to come and open it. If you haven't ran a cable before- it could get dangerous
The blockage is downstream from the clean out so that is where he should start.
Pulling the toilet should be the last resort- but will work too. Best to keep the mess outside.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
the warranty came with the house. and we try to diy. 4 kids, so were trying to get off without having to pay 125/hr.
Don't blame you.... oh yea, this is a DIY site.... not SERVICE MAGIC.

Best
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
call me E

Quote:
Pay by the job- not hourly
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #14

hourly or by the job, id rather try and get it done diy. so that way, future problems can have resolution by us. the clean out drops about 4 feet into the ground, and cannot get the auger to go any further. we used a non power hand forced auger, and we were able to get it to feed about 25-30 feet (give or take a few feet). but the auger isnt going anywhere but to the bottom of the vertical pipe.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
hourly or by the job, id rather try and get it done diy. so that way, future problems can have resolution by us. the clean out drops about 4 feet into the ground, and cannot get the auger to go any further. we used a non power hand forced auger, and we were able to get it to feed about 25-30 feet (give or take a few feet). but the auger isnt going anywhere but to the bottom of the vertical pipe.
Again, unless you know what you are doing, stop before you do more damage to the existing piping. Who knows what is going on down there. If you have trees in your yard, they are most likely the culprit of the clog, but also it could be due to the waste line has collapsed.

Hire a good shop in your area, not one with the flashiest trucks or largest ad's in the Yellow pages, nor on Angie's List. I only trust two companies in my town when it comes to plumbing. Both are family owned businesses, family's that have been in the business for over 100 years. One is a one man operation, the other is a small five man shop. Both know what they are doing, and I would trust them over the shops with the pretty trucks and expensive tv ads any day.

Tags
auger, plumbing, sewer