DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can't fix bathtub drain

13K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Swearingen 
#1 ·
I am only slightly frustrated. I can't get our plumber out here to fix this stupid drain! The drain is almost completely clogged. I'm talking it takes 6 hours for the tub to completely drain. I went out and purchased a small snake to fix it. Well, I don't have an overflow trap thing on our tub, so the stupid snake won't work. I have tried plunging it, that did absolutely nothing. I have tried Draino and all that, but it take several big bottles to even get the drain to semi drain correctly. I just want this thing fixed so I can take a shower and not worry about standing in 2 feet of water the whole time, it's rather gross. Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this myself without having to rely on the plumber or my husband to get it done, because they just aren't helping.

#2 · (Edited)
Kimberly, Welcome to the Forum.:thumbsup:

The mechanism that actuates the drain is also the bathtub overflow.

This mechanism must be removed so that your snake can be inserted into the overflow
There are several types of mechanisms. The diagram is for the Pop-Up type.
Remove the two screws from the cover plate. Don’t drop the screws
Pull out the Rod assy all together
Run the snake
As soon as the water drains, pour down a pot of boiling water
Don’t use any Drano or any other chemical again
Share your results when you have the problem solved

Attachments

#3 ·
It is not possible to run a snake down a tub drain because of the tight sharp bends. You will most likely have to remove the trap and work from there. If you have an old trap that looks like a can rather than a "P" or "S" it may have a cap that unscrews to allow cleaning it out but would be best to replace.

#4 ·
A tub shower drain is most likely clogged with hair and soap scum, etc. These are all "organic". As advised, do NOT use a caustic chemical drain cleaner such as Drano.
However, I have successfully used enzyme-based drain cleaners, such as DrainCare, for many years. An enzyme-based drain cleaner will not harm you, anyone else such as a plumber, the fixture or the pipes, but it WILL eat out the organic clogs.
You simply run warm water into the drain and add the enzyme-based drain cleaner per the directions. Let it eat overnight, and then run very hot water down the drain to flush it. I always begin this flushing process with a kettle of boiling water first.
If the clog is really bad, which yours apparently is, you may have to do it more than once, but it WILL work, and you don't have to take anything apart or snake a hard-to-snake tub drain. You just need to dissolve all of the organic gunk and flush it down the drain line.
Good Luck!
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.