DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can't figure out why toilet is leaking

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Willie T 
#1 ·
We just bought our first home, have twins on the way, and a baby shower this weekend. I'm finishing the downstairs bathroom, and notice dripping from above. When I look up, this is what I see:

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Here is the ring and flange from topside. The subfloor immediately surrounding the bowl is soaked - my guess is this has been constantly leaking or leaking every flush. We've been here for one month.
Just to be sure, the plastic funnel should be on the underside, protruding into the drain. Installed as shown, it will leak. Just covering every base.

Maybe try dumping a bucket of water into the drain when the toilet is removed to verify that the water can drain fast enough. A properly working toilet drain should not allow flushed water to backup to the wax ring and then leak out.

Also, check the bowl very carefully for any hairline cracks. We had a toilet with a hairline crack that leaked and drove me nuts trying to find the leak.

HRG

#6 ·
It looks like the floor was retiled and now the flange is too low. The flange should sit above the finished floor. Get a flange extension to bring the flange higher and reinstall toilet.

#10 ·
Years ago, on the advice of a plumber, I began installing two (2) wax rings, one on top of the other. Many of them are just a little too thin these days. They are cheap, so it costs you little to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.