Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can't figure out how the "faucets" on my washing machine work

My washing machine has one lever that turns the water supply on and off (the water that comes from the pipes in the wall into the washing machine). On either side of this lever, where I would expect to find faucets with handles that I can use to adjust the flow for the hot and cold water hoses, there are just two large slotted bolts/screws, one for each hose. It looks like you would just turn them with a screw driver to adjust the flow, but neither can be budged even a little bit; they are solidly in place. Which leads me to believe they are not the mechanism for adjusting water flow, which makes me wonder where the heck are the mechanisms and how the heck do I adjust the water termperature coming into the machine?!?!?

Can anybody help?

Very frustrated

zippydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Does it look like this?

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/single-l...box-38822.html

If so you just lift the center lever to open. you don't ajust flow.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #3

Yes, that's it. But I want to increase the flow of hot water because when I set the machine to wash with WARM water, the water is not really warm at all, and when I set it to wash with HOT water, it's barely warm.

I am so surprised that I cannot adjust it. Any suggestions, besides replacing the entire valve unit?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Are you taking into consideration the time it takes for hot water to get from the hot water heater tank to the washer? Don't expect to have hot, or even warm, water as soon as the water starts entering the machine. Depending on how far the washer is from the water heater, it could take up to a couple of minutes for any warm or hot water to appear.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Are you sure its not a hot water spressure problem? have you disconnected the washer and put both hoses on the valve and turned it on and made sure you get the same pressure? What kind of piping do you have in your house?
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not a 100% on how washers work but I believe that you want the hot and cold all the way open and the washing machine decides how to mix the hot/cold water inside the machine to get the right temp. I could be wrong but even if your hot/cold valves could be individually adjusted that it would do much good to restrict the flow of cold water into the machine.

The way I have understood it the machine restricts the flow of the cold water to achieve the temp you have it set on.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I'm not a 100% on how washers work but I believe that you want the hot and cold all the way open and the washing machine decides how to mix the hot/cold water inside the machine to get the right temp. I could be wrong but even if your hot/cold valves could be individually adjusted that it would do much good to restrict the flow of cold water into the machine.

The way I have understood it the machine restricts the flow of the cold water to achieve the temp you have it set on.
That's it. That is how it works on my washer. Also, the valves are not part of the kit. They're standard valves that are bought at the Plumbing Supply. Or HD. (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions. Will try all of them. Very likely Thurman's suggestion re: "travel time" could be the answer.

Thanks again. This is my first time posting on this - or any - forum!

Great response!