Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can you tap into a basement floor drain with a laundry tub?

i remodeling our basement and the home was already plumbed with sewerage lines for the bath room. I would like to put in a laundry tub on the opposite side of the basement but the only line that is near to tap is a floor drain. the other issue is that I have a septic system and the line for the rest of the house is 6 feet high off the basement floor.

Mikeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,264

Where does the floor drain go to if the line to the septic is 6 feet off the floor?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

Without details it is impossible to accurately assess your situation. I can tell you that I had a similar situation in my house, in that the laundry drained into the floor drain, which ran out to a drywell, while the sanitary waste went to the septic system via a 4" diameter PVC drain line to the septic tank. This was when I purchased the house in 1991.

None of this met current code. The septic system was replaced, and the laundry drain was connected to the septic drain line. I still have a floor drain in the basement, however it is only used when I mop the floor (this is VERY rare). Certainly in Massachusetts, and probably in most other jurisdictions, it is illegal to run greywater (laundry) directly into the ground, it has to go to the septic system.

The reason for this in my town is that we are all on private water (well), so you are effectively drinking your laundry water, which tends to be high in phosphorus, so it is considered essential that all wastewater be treated via the septic system. Your jurisdiction may have different rules, especially if you are on town water, you need to check with the local board of health or the building inspector. No one on this forum can possibly know your local regulations.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Google sanioflo, they have a system that'll pump up the laundry waste to the over head line.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote