DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Can you change from pull type fixture mounted diverter to a spout type? (

indigojoker 06-26-2010 04:57 PM

Can you change from pull type fixture mounted diverter to a spout type?
I have a couple old Delta 600 tub/shower units that I want to update but the update/renovation kits aren't made to accomodate the pull/push fixture mounted diverters. I had in my mind that maybe you can dissable/remove and plug the one that is there and simply install a spout one. I don't really know all the inner workings of these things but it seems logical. So what say you guys? I'm sure there is a good reason why this won't work and I'm all ears....... Was going to just replace the whole unit but it's all soldered together and I don't want to bash the wall apart to make a hole large enough to work on it. Thanks

oh'mike 06-26-2010 07:53 PM

Could you start over--slowly. I know a bit about these things --but I couldn't make heads or tails out of your description. --Mike---

AllanJ 06-27-2010 06:01 AM

A spout diverter is "sorta" gravity based; the shower pipe is always open and the spout diverter closes off the spout and then the water goes the other way.

A spout diverter will substitute for a defective faucet mounted diverter only if the latter does not close off the shower pipe when you manage to get it to the down position to stay.

To test, simply plug the spout with a rag and see if the shower comes to life.

indigojoker 06-27-2010 07:37 AM

I'm saying that I want to take the current diverter completely out (it's mounted just below the shower handle in the pipe that runs down to the spout) and put in a brass plug instead and then install a new spout with a built in diverter. Any reason why this won't work?

oh'mike 06-27-2010 08:06 AM

If the diverter valve is separate from the mixer valve--you could remove it and run a solid pipe from the mixer valve down to a diverter spout.

I'm not clear about what you would be plugging---however-the answer is --Yes (probably)

Post a picture if you can----Mike---

AllanJ 06-27-2010 08:48 AM

Yes, when the diverter is simply an in-line valve in the pipe going down to the spout, then you can remove it and substitute a spout diverter.

indigojoker 07-06-2010 03:04 PM

so it sounds like this should be simple enough to accomplish, however, i've run into a bit of a problem. apparently, Delta decided to make the diverter 13/16 -20 and that size seems to be limited to just this one part as noone on earth makes a plug to fit it. am i going to have to take the diverter apart, solder teh hole shut and use it for a plug? any other ideas? here's a link to what i'm talking about.

worse case, I tear that one apart, cut off the rod and solder the hole where the rod is now and use it as a plug. lot of work for what should be a simple fix though. any better ideas? they sell these at lowe's so i'm not afraid to experiment on it but i'd love to just take it out and replace it with a simple plug and be done with the whole ordeal.

AllanJ 07-07-2010 08:30 AM

Does the shower work if you plug the existing spout with a rag when the water is turned on?

If so, leave the old diverter in there, optionally solder it so no one can push it accidentally. Install a spout diverter and you are done.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1