CAN VIBRATIONS CAUSE A LEAK Help Me Please - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

CAN VIBRATIONS CAUSE A LEAK help me please

Was wondering if someone could help is it possible that heavy drilling could cause the main radiator bleeding valve to leak, the council will not accept liability for a leak i believe was down to the work they had carried out next to the valve

Advertisement

sweetashuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

can you show us a pic so we can get a better look at it

Advertisement

al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

BIG hammer drill into concrete........possible, but if you are looking for someone to blame, I don't think this is it.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #4

No i cant show a picture because the wall has been re plastered.

The reason im asking if this could be the cause is because the council engineers that carried out the work were incompetent.

he had cut his finger and was sucking on it whilst trying to demolish the wall with one hand.

we have never had a problem before untill he carried out the work and the leak came directly from the area that he was working in.

the main radiator bleeding valve had come open, any suggestions on how this is possible if someone didn't physically open it ??????
Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

The bleed valve needs to be accessible, namely not sealed inside the wall.

Was it cracked or broken or just in the open position?

Yes it is possible for it to open as a result of vibration but if it was closed tightly (not tremendously tight) it should not open.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetashuny View Post
No i cant show a picture because the wall has been re plastered.

The reason im asking if this could be the cause is because the council engineers that carried out the work were incompetent.

he had cut his finger and was sucking on it whilst trying to demolish the wall with one hand.

we have never had a problem before untill he carried out the work and the leak came directly from the area that he was working in.

the main radiator bleeding valve had come open, any suggestions on how this is possible if someone didn't physically open it ??????
If I had a man that cut his finger and kept working the first thing i would do is pat him on the back and thank him for his dedication. The second thing I would have done is slapped him in the back of the head and tell him to go put a bandaid on that finger after he cleaned it up. as far as vibrations causing a leak I guess it would be possible but I don't think I would call a man incompetent because of it. there is no way that he could have anticipated that. I put this under the category of Stuff happens and get it fixed and move on. Next thing is why are you covering up a bleed valve it should be exposed in case you ever have to access it to bleed the lines.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #7

its the council that re-plastered the wall,

I called him incompetent because he was it took him 2weeks to do a job that should have taken a day.

All i need to know is if it was possible that the vibrations and disturbance could have lossened the valve.

it was his job to ensure that all was right before bricking the wall back up and he didn't.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #8

Its the council i didnt have a choice if i did i would not have a wrecked living room by now.

your reply didnt really ans the question
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #9

I just don't have enough info to properly answer your question. Like what size drill was it was it a 3/8 or 1/2 or bigger? was it a hammer drill or regular drill? How much was the drill used? Is it possible for the valve to open while drilling? I would say yes stranger things have happened. Did this guy do it? I don't know. That is about the best I can do. Good Luck
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #10

It was a hand held jack hammer and it was used alot right by the valve.

Thanks for taking the time to reply its much appreciated

Advertisement

Tags
leaking , valve