Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |

Can two washers drain into one utility sink?

I've got a 4 unit building that currently has one coin operated dryer and one coin operated washer that drains into an old cement/steel double utility sink. I want to add another washer and dryer, and the extra washer will have to drain into a sink. The problem is that the old double sink is too wide for me to fit all 4 machines along the wall I need to put them against (plumbing/electrical/venting is all there already). I was going to break up the old sink and install a new one, but am not sure if I can drain two washers into a single bowl utility sink. Is this possible, or will it overflow if both washers drain at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

mcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #2

Unless the drain line is very large, it will overflow if both washers dump at the same time. Washers dump a lot of water quickly, so you are talking about 30-40 gal. of water in a few minutes. Unless the sink holds 80 gal, it will overflow.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #3

ah, ok. thanks, i'll have to find a double bowl that's not too wide.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcru View Post
ah, ok. thanks, i'll have to find a double bowl that's not too wide.
That probably isn't going to fix the problem. That sink is likely only served by a 1-1/2" drain. adding a double bowl sink and connecting it to the same line isn't going to do much good, except give you more capacity for overflow.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

yeah, but a double bowl should be able to hold the water, w/ a washer draining into it's own bowl. Currently the washer can totally fill one of the bowls without overflowing (a rag was left in the sink once). I can't imagine that a plastic utility sink would have much smaller bowls than the old metal/concrete one.

I know the drain can't be increased in size w/o a lot of work, as of now it's a pretty bad setup w/ a rubber hose cemented directly over the drain. I was going to remove the rubber and replace with pvc and get a p-trap involved. This building was built in the late 1800's...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #6

With a sink that can actually hold all the water for a moment, the 1-1/2 inch drain will work fine. After the washing machine discharges, it will be a few minutes before it discharges again, giving the sink time to empty out.

If I remember correctly, a typical home washing machine draws 16 to 20 gallons for each section of the cycle, so the tub needs to hold about 40 gallons (about 5 cubic feet) at most for two washing machines.

The washing machine hose must fit loosely into a drain pipe if no sink is available. Do not cement the hose into the pipe.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-26-2010 at 07:39 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

My main sewer line blocked once while the washer was draining. It only filled like 1/3 of the sink. I'm sure a typical size sink can handle two washers at once. If you are paranoid put some kind of floater that will cut off the power to the washer if it goes too high. Maybe an upside down light switch for the washers above the sink and if the floater goes up it flips both switches, or something.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote