DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can’t remove tub drain, any ideas?

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Davedims 
#1 ·
The chrome drain fitting in the tub that connects to the PVC drain pipe needs to be replaced. I am told it simply screws out counterclockwise. Easier said then done. The cross hairs on the bottom were broken out years ago when the previous owner tried to remove it (at least that’s my guess). I cut 4 slots around the outside, in hopes that I could insert a screw driver into the slots, hit it with a hammer in a counterclockwise direction and that would loosen it up. That Didn’t work. Next I inserted a piece of steel into two of the opposing slots going across the center of the drain, thinking I could get some leverage and use that to turn it out. The thing won’t budge. Any ideas????

#3 ·
I read to apply heat to loosen up the putty. I put a hair dryer on it then tried to spin it. Still stuck.

I guess I need to go get one of these special tools. How do they work? Is it just pressure to the outside or do they self tap the side to grip into it. I’m afraid if its just pressure, it’s not going to help much as stuck as this thing is.

#5 ·
Do you have access below? Are you sure it's threaded into a PVC shoe? If so, that's the easiest option IMHO. Cutting plastic below the floor > cutting metal inside of a tub.

just cut through the threads in a couple of spots and it should fall right off the darn thing.

Sometimes people use that sticky putty, and it's near impossible to get them to spin out. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.