Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Can Someone Suggest a Tub?

Hi,

I'm about to remodel my main bath. it is a 5' by 8' space and has a tub at the end. Then there is a toilet right next to it and then a small 30" wide vanity.

The current tub is 30" by 60" It is cast iron covered in porcelain. I'm thinking of replacing it with an acrylic tub and tiling over the whole area.

What do people think of the 80lb acrylic tubs vs cast iron? I'm thinking it will be very hard to do cast iron on a remodel.. Getting the old one out will likely be pretty hard too!.

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

I install mostly cast iron tubs---they look great for years--no as difficult to install as you might think

When removing the old tub,I try to remove it whole when ever possible---however,I will smash them into chunks if removing in one piece is not practical.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Special User

You sure it's only 30" wide? Standard size is 32" x 60".

I like Americast steel tubs. Lightweight and durable. I don't care for acrylic, we've always had acrylic kitchen sinks and they're impossible to keep clean. Dunno if a tub would have the same trouble but I'd only tolerate acrylic in a whirlpool tub.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Removing a cast iron tub is quite therapeutic. Just cover it with an old blanket and smack the heck out of it with a sledge hammer.

I agree with tylernt. Acrylic tubs are really hard to keep clean and looking nice. And it only takes one time with the wrong cleanser and they're ugly forever. Plus, an improperly installed one can crack.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 12-17-2012 at 07:18 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8

Cast iron is the way to go.

Shouldn't be hard to do. I've installed a lot of them and only had help with two. They are the same size, just heavier.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

I put a Jacuzzi in a framed in area. I screwed a 1/2 inch Lag Hook into the joist above the tub center, and used a chain fall to lower it precisely. Worked very well, and I still have my back. Just a hint. Mine is Acrylic, because of the jets, Long and deep, as I wanted to be able to submerge myself, and I am 255lb. The problem with most tubs is that they are too shallow to even be a tub, IMHO. The old Ball and Claw tubs were real tubs. Not like the garbage today. Remember, the depth is only up to the overflow. I have my Jacuzzi. The other "Tub" is coming out in favor of a tiled shower with a seat.

To answer though, Cast iron wins hands down.

Last edited by jagans; 12-18-2012 at 09:01 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #7

We put in the el-cheapo sheet metal enameled tub from home depot for 120$ each. One in the old house, and it worked out well enough we're doing it again twice in the new house. You don't HAVE to do acrylic or porcelain, there is an inbetween which is fairly heavy gauge metal covered with enamel. I would say for most people this is fine. The acrylic ones I don't care much for as they tend to flex more over time. Plus once it's installed, it's not a huge difference between cast iron and sheet metal. Long term, sure cast iron is better, but it's also a matter of how heavy the tub is and getting it in place. For my wife and I, the enameled sheet metal tub is cheap and held up fine.

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote